Another A

The first ones to arrive were a family with two kids. While the mother smoothed out her son's hair and tried to keep him from ripping off his tie the girl whined about not liking her shirt. Somehow this chaotic scene made Caden feel a little bit better although the boy and the girl stared at him like he had suddenly grown a second head, until their father shoved them not so subtly forward.

"Say hi to Alpha Ajax," he prompted them and they both muttered a timid greeting. Ajax nodded at them and shook the father's hand before Jade ushered the family into the living room.

"How many will come?" Caden wanted to know while ignoring the little kids peeking around the corner and whispering wide-eyed.

"About twenty more people," Ajax answered and pecked his lips fleetingly.

"Shit," Caden groaned and jumped when the doorbell rang again. Ajax' father opened the door and let an elderly couple in.

"You owe me money," the woman said to her husband as soon as they had spotted Caden and the man dug out a few bills from his pants pocket. Ajax raised an eyebrow at them and the woman smiled sweetly, her wrinkles standing out more in the process.

"I bet that he would be a cute little thing and my hubby lost," she explained triumphantly while her hubby grumbled behind her back. "Welcome to the pride, cutie."

"Thanks," Caden mumbled with a faint blush and she cooed at him.

"Gosh, you're so adorable!"

"You're frightening the cute little thing," her husband sighed and she swatted his shoulder.

"Cubs can't get enough motherly love," she claimed obstinately and went forward to wrap Caden up in a tight hug however a low growl from Ajax saved him from being squeezed to death.

"Ah, young love," the woman mused dreamily and disappeared with her husband in tow in the living room.

Caden whined and buried his face in Ajax' chest. "This is awful!"

"You'll survive," the lion promised just as the doorbell rang a third time.

It went - against all expectations - surprisingly well from then on. Nobody tried to kill him and although he couldn't remember all those names to save his life he thought that everyone was pretty nice. There were some older people but also young families or families with nearly adult kids. Soon the house was filled with voices and laughter and finally Robin could eat the snacks without risking his life.

Everybody seemed to want to talk with Caden or welcome him into the pride though Ajax' presence kept the touching to a minimum.

However, the fear came back when the blonde lioness stepped through the door and came over to them. He didn't know if he should hiss at her so she would stay away from his partner or if he should hide behind said lion.

"Agnes." Ajax nodded at her and she smiled softly.

Caden would have never expected her to be called Agnes. Perhaps April or Chloe or Madison; anything that was more trendy than Agnes. He supposed that it was another proof that he shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

"Ajax." She wrung her hands and seemed to be at a loss for words. Caden curiously cocked his head to the side. There were definitely some things between them and he was about to offer them some alone-time when Agnes started to talk.

"I'm glad you're happy. Both of you."

"Thanks," Ajax replied seriously. She smiled uncomfortably.

"So, welcome to the pride," she added and Caden nodded before she went to mingle with the others.