New Beginning

"London in the 1960s, everyone had a story about the Krays"

At the age of 26 there were a lot of things I was expected to do, have a boyfriend, have my first kiss, have my first passionate experience but not before marriage. Then love the idea of being married with a man who worked while I stayed at home and helped the children while making him a cooked dinner and have it ready for him as he returned from work. Well none of the above had happened to me.

My mother wanted these things for me as any loving mother would, I however found no interest in any man and I started to believe I was I was born to be a nun, however my love for films and books drew me away from that type of life and brought me to wear I stood now.

London 1960s

Trafalgar Square was a rush of busy bodies and high end shops which lured in wealthy men and women. I didn't bring much with me as I left home, only one suitcase filled with my clothes and my flat information which was settled safely between my coat pockets.

Despite my excitement to be in London I remembered what my mother told me, even though you are a 'tourist' don't look like one, so instead of gazing more at the large billboards advertising I moved to the underground clutching my luggage as I went.

--

My flat was located on Ormsby Street, among myself it housed other single girls who worked and needed cheap yet safe accommodation. The room was small, only enough room for a single bed, a bit of walking space, and a desk. The woman who ran the place was rather stiff, she reminded me of a headmistress I had once who would deliberately single me out and leave my hands with strap marks. Needless to say I doubted I would be making friends with her.

It didn't take long for me to unpack, however I didn't realize I started to sing with the radio which was on in the others girls room.

"You've got a beautiful voice"

The woman stood in the entrance way, her hair in curls and she dressed in her nightwear her face bare but a pleasant smile graced her lips

"Thank you, sorry I do that sometimes"

She chuckled and waved her hand "No problem, sometimes the radio breaks up at least I can always ask you" we chuckled "I'm April Carter, I'm in the room across the hall"

"Nice to meet you, I'm Freya Matthews"

I learned April worked as an executive assistant to the owner of the London bank who she described as an octopus, multiple hands trying to grab her, one would disappear but another would appear. Fortunately I wouldn't have to worry about that as I would be starting work at a hairdressers not far from where I was now, the lady practically hired me over the phone as her other hairdressers immediately stopped working because she was getting married.

I was excited to work, I had always been a worker, when my mother had a cleaning job she used to take me with her wen her friend couldn't help her. I would earn £10 each time I would join her, I wasn't academically gifted which resulted in poor scores from school however as I work I plan to take evening courses to help me get my grades.

April informed me of the rules of the place, no music after 9:00pm, act respectfully to each other, the door closes at 8:00pm and you have to ring the bell to get in which she informed me was never a good experience, however the time was extended on Saturdays and it closed at 10:00pm, and above all no males in the room at any time.

--

The following morning after breakfast with the girls I made my way to the hairdressers. The woman, Susan, was pleasant and reminded me of a old time actress. She showed me the ropes and introduced to me the other girls who worked there and gave me my first lady of the day. As the day continued the stench of ammonia made its way up my nostrils making me have a headache for the remainder of the day. Just as I swept up my last clients hair from the floor a lady walked in, she was probably in her late 40s early 50s, a kind face as she greeted the rest of the girls who were giggling before all now seemed to be on their best behaviour.

"Violet this is my new girl Freya"

The woman gave me a warm smile before taking a seat, Susan took the ladies coat and offered her a cup of tea

"I love your dress luv, it suits you"

Unconsciously I smoothed out my dark pink polka dot dress "thank you miss, what would you like today"

We spoke throughout, I leaned she lived on Bethnal Green with her husband and three sons, her eyes shined as she spoke of her two boys who I learned were twins. She told me how she used to dress them up when they were little, people would stop her in the street as they cooed and adored her little boys sitting in the pram sleeping peacefully. 'My beautiful boys' she called them.

With a thank you and goodbye Mrs Violet Kray, little did I know my introduction to Mrs Kray would lead to a new life of danger and love.