Chapter 4 - Among Other Things

Feeling the wolf collide into him Cooper screamed falling down onto his sheets. Tobalt grabbed Damian and threw him off Cooper. Damian slid into the dresser and then transformed back into a human. He rubbed his head and stood up.

            “What the fuck man?” Damian growled his eyes yellow and hazel for a minute then returned to the normal. He stood up and ruffled his short cut brown hair.

            “I told you, my pack master needs me to bring him to the telepath alive.”

            “Then, I get to kill him.” Damian said as he wiped some blood from his chin. “Hey, I’m going to use your bathroom.” Damian walked into the bathroom then with excitement stated. “Oh cool, he has that peppermint castile soap I like, no one uses that anymore.”

            Cooper scowled at Tobalt who just looked at him with those same puppy dog eyes that he saw by the lake. Cooper wanted to get out of his place. He wanted to just run screaming down the hall. What he wanted the most though was to wake up and have it all be a dream.

            “Did Damian break the skin?” Tobalt asked.

            “No,” Cooper replied. “Why are you doing this Tobalt? Why are you coming after me like this? This isn’t you.”

            “Turns out Davie knew more than we thought. They -tized it out of him, that vamp we knew double-crossed us. I knew never to trust those vamps.” Tobalt explained and leaned against the counter.

            “But I don’t know what his dealings were about,” Cooper went to stand up but Tobalt shook his head. “I don’t know anything about vampires at all.”

            “No, no, this wasn’t about the drug deal or what your brother saw before… it’s about something that happened to you as kids.” Tobalt answered and let out a deep breath his broad chest raising and falling.

            “What Tobalt? What? I haven’t seen anything.” Cooper cried out, he raced through his mind and couldn’t think of a single time he’d ever seen a vampire other than when he saw Dracula in the movies.

        “We’ll see what the telepath has to say about that.” Tobalt responded.

            “What’s the deal with you and Damian?” Cooper nodded towards the bathroom crossing his arms.

            “We’re not together…” Tobalt replied.

            “No, not that? Are you guys, pack buddies or what?”

            “Damian was helping us track this vampire that killed a member of our pack. It was tied into the vampire dealings that Davie was a part of. Turns out the vamp who killed our pack leader a few years back was somehow tied in. We want revenge.”

            “Do werewolves usually deal with people like this?”

            “No, we tend to stick to our own pack, but Damian is one of our guys cousins. So we made a deal. Now Damian wants you dead cause, well Los Angeles packs are different than ours. They’re more, well serious. Can’t be found out or you get killed.”

            “Yup,” Damian emerged from the bathroom. “I told ya, so I got to kill ya.”

            “Good to know” Cooper frowned.

***

            It was somewhere in South Los Angeles in the community of Inglewood that Damian pulled up in a black town car. This part of Los Angeles was older and didn’t have as much money and it was a primarily a black neighborhood. They parked outside an old apartment building. The three got out of the car and walked across the dying grass as the sun set. An older heavyset African American woman sat on the porch eyeing the three men walk up to her. She let out a deep sigh then motioned to the open screen door.