Chapter 6 - What am I Doing!

Chapter 6 - What am I Doing!

            Screaming, Cooper fell off the dumpster as his co-worker, a man Cooper’s age, with curly sun-bleached hair, well-defined facial features, and a small stature, ran out. Cooper pointed to the dumpster and his co-worker, Will Feinstein, jumped up to peer in and dropped back down turning to Cooper.

            “We need to call 9-1-1.”  Will threw up his hands in a very animated way and hurried inside.

            Cooper gulped and went up to the dumpster boosting himself up to look at the body. He opened the bag, which had droplets of black goop dripping down the inside. He moved the limp aside to see Jonas’s head stare back up at him. Cooper shook his head and pulled his hang out of the bag looking at his stained black hands.

            Passing through the store he went directly to the back room and turned on the sink listening to the rush of water. He washed his hands as best he could and the black gunk finally came off. He went to dry off his hands and noticed that he got the last towel. He threw it into the trashcan.

            Will came inside having a panic attack and Cooper comforted him. For some reason, Cooper was surprised on how calm he was, almost as if it wasn’t a surprise. At that moment Cooper felt déjà vu, looking at the backroom door. He tried to remember something but he couldn’t quite put a figure on what that thing is.

            “I can’t believe, I just can’t believe that, I mean… it’s like a fucking episode of CSI.” Will panted and walked over to the sink. He turned on the water and took a sip then spit it out. “I forgot we’re in LA.” The sound of a customer echoed from the front room. “Oh god, how am I supposed to do this? Just like it’s normal. We need to close the store…” Will shook his head then hurried back to the front.

***

            Cooper got home and quickly changed into his pajamas then leaned up against the wall turning on his laptop. Boris sat next to Cooper licking himself. Cooper pet Boris and clicked on a few different buttons. There was an e-mail from his mother wishing he wouldn’t have left the way he did and stating that Davie was out of the hospital and doing well.

            It was just over a week since he had found out about his fathers death and a lot had happened. He buried his father, found out his high school lover was a werewolf, found himself in a heap of trouble, and lost his friend Melissa. Cooper reached his hand up to his eye and touched the teardrop in his eye.

            He lay down on his bed and Boris purred rubbing up against Cooper. Cooper sobbed and gulped then nodded. “Dad, I miss you.” Cooper cried rubbing his eyes. He let out a small yelp from his lower stomach and he felt his abdominals tighten up in a choking sadness. “I’m sorry-I’m sorry I wasn’t there dad. I hope you can hear me. I hope you’re happy where you are.”

            Cooper let out a few more sobs. “What am I doing!” Cooper slid off the bed and went into the bathroom running the hot water for a shower. Cooper pealed off his clothes and only slightly wished he had gone to the gym that day. He felt bad for even thinking that and couldn’t stop crying. His father was gone and that’s whom he wanted to talk to the most now.  He felt Boris rub against his naked leg and Cooper got into the shower Boris tiptoeing out of the bathroom.

            By the time Cooper got out of the shower his eyes were red and he curled naked under the covers. He pulled up his laptop and typed in blue sheep, some Himalayan sheep popped up and he noticed a small blurb about Buddhist monks taking care of them. Boris curled up closer to Cooper and he petted the purring cat.