Summer's Beginning

DESPITE his reputation, Hades rarely had a bout of temper. The fear he erected for being King of Underworld was nothing of his own accord for he had neither the will nor power to stop death, Thanatos from bringing him soul after soul. That was not to say he was unable to do anything for as far as being king, he could assure the souls were judged fairly, placed accordingly, and provide as much help as possible to the souls that came to him.

He was feared nevertheless for death had always been an enemy of men. Irrevocably, Hades rarely had a bout of temper. That was not to say he did not have one and that summer day, his temper flared as souls flooded his gates from what Thanatos informed was due to a war Ares had erupted.

"I am afraid my lord, that the war might have gotten out of hand," Thanatos informed him as he sat on his throne.

"What, might you say have Zeus been doing to dissuade this, Thanatos?"

Thanatos was silent before answering, "Nothing, my lord. Zeus seemed to be under the impression that Ares has everything under control."

"Fool," he said in a controlled tone but his eyes shone with anger as he stood from his throne. "Prepare the horses, it is time I go have a little talk with brother dear, much as I loathe to do so."

            It was not long until the souls working for him had his horses prepared and he had excused Thanatos to do his job seeing that the soul influx was rather high. He stood inside his chariot; golden with various jewels on it, his horses neighing fiercely. With a twist of his wrist on the reigns, the horses galloped and soared through the Underworld, bypassing the five rivers; the river Styx, Acheron, Kokytos, Lethe, and Phlegethon.

The earth cracked as his chariot neared and opened with an earthquake as he drove through it, the opening later sealed once he emerged on the grounds above. His horses never stopped galloping as they heaved the chariot towards Mount Olympus and high into the sky.

            Hades' golden chariot was a sight to behold, even among other lavishness on Mount Olympus, the realm of Zeus. It was his right after all, as God of the Riches, a title often overshadowed by his crown as King of Underworld. As soon as the horses descended on the grounds before Zeus' pantheon, a soft gasp was uttered which prompted Hades to pause from his descend and worked to land his chariot as gentle as possible.

As the chariot landed, he stepped down from it, rounded the horses to see who made the gasp in this, he saw a young maiden, with vibrant orange hair, slightly tanned skin, and the most beautiful eyes of green hue like that of emeralds. It was an oddity for Hades to be rendered speechless by the beauty of a dame but he cannot help but be so under her awe-inspiring, innocently curious gaze.

"Who are you?" She asked with a voice like honey to his ears. Sweet and addictive.

"The question is who are you, child, for you seem to be unable to recognize me, Lord of the Underworld that many feared," he answered silkily.

Recognition passed in her eyes and she gave him a disarming smile for its radiance and honesty. "You are Hades, then, the brother of my parents, uncles to my half-siblings and I."

            Hades gave her a calculating look, assessing her, trying to figure which child Zeus had fathered stood before him. Surely, as distant as he was he would never be exempt from the feasts his brother dearly loved holding. His gaze landed to those eyes of pure emerald-like spring in its purest form. Spring. The image of a babe came unbidden in his mind, an image of a babe with eyes as such. "Persephone?"

"Persephone? Ah, but I am not called that name ever, my lord for my mother prefers to call me Kore, instead."

            The god could not help but scowled at the name 'Kore' the maiden's mother had so aptly bestowed upon. Such a simplistic name, going hand in hand with her modest white robes and hair in its natural shape, not fashioned like other females he had come across.

"Persephone suits you better, child, a powerful name and elegant as you are," he deadpans. His words however seemed to stun 'Kore' for her eyes had gone wide and a flush filled her cheeks before she lowered her gaze.

"If you would, I imagine it will please me so for you to call me Persephone, my lord," she muttered with a bashful smile and it made strange things happen to his heart, that reply, the smile of hers.

Composing himself, he turned from 'Kore'-Persephone-and started to move away from his chariot. "Very well, Persephone. I would take my leave for now from your audience seeing that I have a business to speak of with Zeus, your father."

Before he was far, he was stopped by her; "M-may I play with your horses while you are away, my lord?" With a small nod, without turning he replied, his ears caught the sound of a happy squeal, laughter, and neighing as he walked away making his lips quirked into a smile.

            When he returned to his chariot, he was greeted by a bouquet of narcissus and with the beautiful flowers, a heady scent and memory of innocent eyes, sincere smiles he returned to his domain, his fingers brushing the flowers every so often along the ride.

KORE, no Persephone was many things. An obedient daughter, a joyous friend, and a free-spirited maiden but one thing she was not was a lovesick girl. At least she had not been one even when she was pursued by Ares, Apollo, and Hermes whom she loved dearly but their role in her upbringing was too close for her to consider them nothing but family.

It confused her, this attraction she felt for Hades. She might be sheltered by Demeter, never permitted to be around men except those of familial though she doubted it was any difference seeing that her half-brothers tried to court her nevertheless, she was never left without Demeter at her side and her friends, companion besides was the nymphs.

Nymphs talked, something her mother had missed and she had learned of love from them, the love between a man and woman. It had been something she did not give much thought to. Until Hades.

            She remembered that day when her mother took her to a meeting with her father and she had asked her to wait at the doorsteps of her father's pantheon. To protect her from Hera, she says and the wild eyes of the other gods. She was bored and during her boredom, Hades descended, with his golden chariot adorned with a variety of jewels artistically woven, his back stallions in addition to that air of confidence.

Of course, she could not see who it was until Hades took off his helmet of invisibility. His appearance threw her off balance for she had not expected the Underworld King to look so young. He had wisdom clinging to him, a maturity that most males around her lacked. His pale complexion and dark hair are a contrast to his father's brightness, his build strong but not buff, overly so like Zeus, Poseidon nor Ares. When he spoke, he spoke in an air of indifference, neither condemning nor submitting.

She found it delightful.

            She had left a bouquet on his chariot before she left with her fuming mother, vexing over Hades. Narcissus, her favorite flower, a flower so enchanting and beautiful, just what she thought of him though she dare not voice. The words he spoke to her like he believed she could be more than what she is; a minor spring goddess beside the Goddess of Harvest herself warmed her heart for none had regarded her as such, assigning her to the role of a protected maiden, a token.

That meeting burned in her memories, her heart and she had no hesitation the next time her mother asked her to accompany her to Mount Olympus, in hope to see Hades again.

            They missed Hades at the meeting. He had left before her mother and she had arrived. She admitted to feeling disheartened but as her mother asked her to wait at the spot designated to her outside the Parthenon, she found a single stem of narcissus near the pillar, sprinkled with little topaz making it look like dew just awash it. It was a wonderful gift for it is crafted with magic and as she held the flower, she knew the flower would not wilt.

With a smile, she smelled the flower, thinking what gift would befit so.