Autumn's Beginning

IT WAS with a lightened step Hades walked into Zeus' throne. There, the King of the Gods sat, drinking wine heartily as he gazed upon his worshippers through a scrying bowl made of marble. Seeing his elder brother, he joyfully boomed Hades' name, standing up and gave him a hearty hug knowing full well how the elder hated it. Cunning Zeus, he knew just what to do to annoy him but he controlled his temper which often burst due to his youngest sibling, an effort to beholden his cutting wit along with it.

"What brings you today, Hades for I see no problem arising in your beloved realm," Zeus boomed. "Sit, brother and tell me what I can do for you," he added and with a flick of his wrist, a puff of cloud neared them, forming a throne for him opposite Zeus' own.

"Nothing ails my realm," he began, the continuation of-'for now'-he withheld with effort. "I came before you for I wish to inform of my desire for a nuptial."

Zeus seemed truly astonished before his loud guffaws filled the hall. "Splendid! Truly splendid, Hades! Hera herself would be honored to bless your marriage!" He exclaimed. "Pray tell, dear brother, who is the lucky maiden?"

Hades paused for a second before answering confidently, "Persephone."

With only the word, Zeus fell silent and his face turned grim and ashen. Uneasiness washed over Hades before determination ruled him, "Are you against it, brother?" He asked.

"It is not that I am against it, brother. Is Kore-Persephone aware of this?"

"Yes, she is. She is waiting for me bearing news."

"Then I have no qualms about it but I cannot agree to it, Hades. Demeter would not approve. She held Kore dear to her and all knew of her dislike for you."

Hearing that, rage came upon Hades but only for a flash before he countered coldly and with steel; "I know of her dislike but I will not adhere to her just because she has petty grievances towards me. Zeus, do you or do you not approve? I am asking you out of curtsy for Persephone. We both know that should I want it, I have no need to answer to either you or Demeter."

"Even so, I cannot agree to it, Hades."

Standing up, Hades looked down at a sitting Zeus coldly. "Very well, Zeus. I will respect your decision for my dearest Persephone but heed my words, Zeus, this will cost you. A cost you shall pay greatly for something within my rule."

Without waiting for a reply, Hades walked away from the hall and descended from the dreaded Olympus, Zeus' realm.

WHEN he next landed, it was before Persephone, her face soft, eyes loving and full of hope. His heart clenched with the news he had to bring her. Stepping down from his chariot, he accepted Persephone's enthusiastic greeting for his return. He let himself succumb to her affection, his hands threading her hair as if coaxing.

"What news do you bring, Hades?"

With a heavy exhale, he answered grimly; "Your father disagreed." He was pushed away, Persephone looking at him in shock before turning worried.

"Then, what shall you do?"

"Nothing."

The answer left her speechless before her cheeks colored and she glared at him in fury. "Nothing? Is that it? You are the Lord of the Underworld! Surely you jest about leaving things as such between us!"

"I can take you with me, Persephone but there are repercussions to that. It is also dishonorable and I will not steep as low."

"Not even for me?" She fumed and how beautiful she was in her anger, befitting a queen.

"It is because I value your worth that I will not take you wrongly," softly he said as he closed their distance and stroked her cheeks gently, she, leaning into his hand, eyes closed, eyebrows furrowed in thought.

Her voice was weak as she whispered; "Curse you and your damnable honor, Hades."

He chuckled humorlessly; "Only you, little one have the spine to curse me so, Persephone and it does not surprise me for I knew if my heart is foolish enough to be given, it would be given to you and love all of you, even this person so different than Kore."

"Why is it that your sweet words and passion manifest over separation instead of the letters you've written? So short. This sentiment began and ends so shortly Hades," she sobs as she looked into Hades' dark eyes.

"It does not need to end. I shall always have this sentiment for you, Persephone and I shall always care for you," he paused, his fingers touching the white-colored gold chain hanging with the line of silver of her mother's. His eyes soften at the sight of his gifted pendant hanging around her neck. With a gentle swipe, the pendant shone. "I shall always watch over you and you may call upon me, whenever you are in need with this."

"So this is goodbye, then, Hades?"

"I am afraid so."