Autumn's End

THE DAYS passed by and Hecate watched as Persephone became enamored with Underworld, the strange goddess. The Underworld itself seemed to be as enchanted with her as Hades had been. She was loved by all that resided there and she was fond of all.

Though Hades had never shown her Tartarus and lamented having to mention it to her, Persephone did not judge, she only embraced him as if comforting Hades, telling him she understood his duty over it even if the wails she heard when she sometimes drew too near to the pits made her flinch and quiver.

            Through her eyes, she saw how in love they were, how happy they were with each other's presence. Persephone was the reason for Hades' lightness, for his smiles and to Persephone, Hades was her anchor, her motivator, her king. Yes, she could see it all so clearly how fit Persephone was to be the Queen of Underworld.

How it seemed as if the right was made for her, how Hades was made to be her king. Through her scrying she saw how should Aphrodite herself saw them, she would found it hard to give denials of the love between them.

Hecate took pride in her magic, how her ability to scry was as reliable as an oracle's but now, she felt nothing but remorse. Through her scrying, she also saw the despair that clutched Demeter how that despair changed her from the compassionate Goddess of Harvest to a grieving mother who let everything around her die as she search for her daughter.

Hades had been right to call her tender-hearted for she could not just leave Demeter be, even if she knew what it would be brought upon the lovers.

Her happiness for Hades' newfound love was tainted by her sympathy for Demeter, no, not much for Demeter as for the mortals. It was due to these she went to visit the three sisters. The Moirai welcomed her with gusto and glee. With energy and mischief. Full of knowing. It told her of many things. Most of all, it told her that there would be happiness still in the end.

"You expected me to come, knowing as always."

Clotho giggled, "Why, of course! There is not much we do not know!"

"Especially when we were given the right threads," added Lachesis.

Atropos interrupted, "... and the Fates are unchangeable."

            Hecate hummed as she contemplated this, coming to a decision. Before she exited, she asked, as if seeking approval and confirmation, "Nothing shall break their love, I presume?"

            The Moirai laughed aloud as if the mere suggestion was atrocious.

DEMETER raged as she left the palace of the mortal king Eleusis. For a while, she was healed by the three princes as she nursed them from the pain of separation Kore brought. The ignorance of Metanira as she tried to gift Demophon immortality angered her and she was reminded of her pains as the prince taken from her hands. She had left the palace of Celeus, wrath in her wake and again the earth suffered.

            The pain, from when she found Kore missing from her gardens without trails clutched her. Far and wide she had searched, crying and wailing for her daughter returned. Zeus had no knowledge of her abduction, for nothing but abduction would tear Kore from her and she had raged upon Zeus then as she descended to earth. In her temper, the earth had died beneath her feet. Nothingness plagued her, nothingness clutched her.

Compassion for the living things in her care, of mortals worshipping her nothing but mere specks of dust in the wake of her missing Kore. She had found pieces of her heart mended as she entered the palace of Celeus as an old lady. Becoming nursemaid for the three princes whom the elder she taught her knowledge and the youngest she wished to grant immortality for the kindness their parents granted her, the joy the princes brought to her heart.

            Alas, stupid mortals! The queen's ignorance shall face her wrath for she had opened wounds best closed. White specks of cold fell harshly on the earth, rendering death upon every living creature. No harvest grew from the coldness that bit the skin and choked breaths. Demeter laughed at the mortals' anguish. At their pleadings for her, for Zeus.

They shall all pay for taking Kore from her. Her laughter often turned into sobs as she fell upon the dead, cold ground, screaming for Kore repeatedly until her voice became hoarse. It was during times like this, she felt a comforting hand upon her shoulders and she was face to face with the kindness in Hecate.