Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Lincoln

Kailani wanted me to get along with Simon, but I didn't want to. I was certain that too good for nothing guy was hiding something.

Okay, I know a small part of me not wanting to get along with Simon was because of my jealousy even though I shouldn't be jealous anymore. Who am I kidding? Of course I was going to still be jealous. I had no idea why Kailani and Simon were able to click so well.

At lunch, Heath and I were the first to sit down at our regular table. Ever since Simon moved here, Kailani ate lunch with him instead, so I was hoping that she would actually sit with me and Heath for lunch.

I didn't even care if Simon sat with us. Well, I did, but I just wanted to eat lunch with Kailani again.

Wendy suddenly sat down beside Heath. "Hey," she said. "I hope you don't mind me sitting him. I am currently not talking to Fay."

"What did she do?" I asked. Normally, whenever Wendy and Fay fought, Fay was the one to cause it.

"So yesterday after school, we had cheer practice since the soccer game is tomorrow and we'll be performing at half-time," Wendy said. "We just finished practicing and every single cheerleader, excluding Fay, was excited for tomorrow because they all said the routine I made as extremely good. Then Fay decided to call is basic."

I raised an eyebrow. "Really? Was it the one I saw the day before the dance?" I asked and she nodded. "What is she talking about? I think that was the best one yet."

"I know," Wendy said. "Everyone agreed, but Fay said she was going to skip on the routine tomorrow if we don't change it."

"That probably won't happen," I said. "No offense to her, but she's an attention seeker at times. She's trying to through an ultimatum, thinking that you'll change it thinking that you need her. If you don't change it, she'll still show up because she won't want to miss the opportunity of everyone watching her."

"That's probably true," Wendy said. "So, Lincoln. You and Kailani. Anything happen yet?"

At the sound of Kailani's name, I smiled faintly and looked down at my lunch.

"Ooh, that's a good sign," Wendy said. "You're not scowling. So?"

"Well, yesterday after school, I kissed her and asked her out," I admitted. "And she said yes."

"Wait, what?" Heath asked. "Dude, you never told me that!"

"Sorry," I said.

"So, where is she?" Wendy asked.

"Probably with Simon," I said, his name feeling like poison on my tongue.

"You know, you are the most jealous guy I have ever met," Heath said, and I just shrugged in reply.

Kailani and Simon then walked up to the table with her sitting beside me and Simon sitting on the other side of Wendy. "Hey," Kailani said, giving me a smile and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Hi," I said.

"I'm still offended," Heath said. "Neither of you told me that you're dating, and we even walked to school together. You could have told me then. I bet Kailani told Simon."

"She did," Simon said. "Yesterday."

That only made me glare at Simon, but then Kailani elbowed my side. "Ow, what was that for?" I asked.

"I told you to stop," Kailani said. "Why can't you just try to get along with him?"

"Because I don't trust him," I said.

"You know I can hear you, right?" Simon asked. "And what isn't there to trust me about? Do you think I'm some sort of alien here to exterminate humanity?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Are you?"

"No!" Simon said. "I'm a regular teenage just trying to attend high school and live my life. I don't why you hate me so much. You're dating Kailani anyway, so you don't have to hate me."

"Oh, so admit to liking her?" I asked.

"She's my friend," Simon said. "Just my friend. I don't like her that way at all."

"I have an idea," Kailani said. "Tonight is game night, right?"

Heath and I nodded. Every once in a while, Heath would come over and the three of us, sometimes Wendy as well, would play a lot of games, both video and board games. We also had a lot of food there and just pigged out.

"Great," Kailani said. "Simon, how about you come over tonight and join us for game night?"

"What?" I asked.

"You heard me," Kailani said. "I'm inviting him to game night so you can learn that he is actually a nice guy."

"Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'm welcomed," Simon said.

"Don't be ridiculous, of course you are," Heath said.

"Hey, it's my house," I said.

"Yeah, and I live there too," Kailani said. "And if you're really against it, I won't talk to you."

I sighed. "Kailani, can we talk? Alone?"

With furrowed eyebrows, she got up and I led her across the cafeteria. "Look, I know he's your friend, but....I can't explain it. There's just something about him that's throwing me off. The way he gets along with everyone, the way everyone loves him, the way he gets along with everyone. It just....I don't know."

"He reminds you of you, doesn't he?" Kailani asked.

"What? No," I said. Well, now that I thought about it. "I guess he does. I get along with everyone, I get along with you really well...."

"And everyone loves you," Kailani said. "But why would you hate him because of it? Most people would like someone who's almost like them."

I sighed. "Because the truth is that I hate who I am at school. I hate people liking me only because of my looks and everyone trying to get along with me. They don't know that I get really high grades or that I love nature or even what my favorite color is. They see the outside, not the inside."

"Why didn't you tell me that?" she asked.

"I don't know," I said. "I didn't really want to talk about it. Sorry."

"It's fine," she said. "Some things, people just want to keep to themselves. Can you just try getting along with Simon now? For me?"

"I'll try," I said." It's going to be hard, but I'll try."

Kailani smiled before pulling me into a hug. "Thank you."

She was about to walk away, but I just had to pull her back to me and press my lips on hers. When I pulled away, I gave her a smile and she smiled back before we went back to the table. "So, Simon, I guess you're coming over for game night," I said.

__________________

Two chapters, guys. I really can't wait because IT'S SO HARD KEEPING IT A SECRET.

Next chapter might be shorter than usual because I'm finding it hard to write Heath's chapters. Like, I know what I want to write for it, but it's hard for some reason.

But I have to go to my school to buy some books, then I have to go somewhere with my friend, but it shouldn't take that long. Chapter 20 will be up by the end of the day. (For me anyway because for some of you it's probably close to midnight or it's even Tuesday. cx)