~Chapter Thirteen~

Natalia had a mischievous gleam in her eyes as she ate dinner with James. It was their last night together- tomorrow he would return home. James would miss her presence along with the Winter Palace that she inhabited, but he was anxious to return home.

"So, " The fiery haired queen stated cooly, not looking up from her plate. "Where you intending on telling me just whom was had you so distracted this whole time you've been here? "

A crimson blush creeped up James's neck. He fought to keep it down as he replied in a tone just as cold, "I haven't the slightest idea what you mean. " He lied.

Natalia let out a laugh as she rolled her eyes. "Don't be ridiculous. Writing letters, being angry almost this entire time. . . I'd say you've been longing for someone. " She arched a perfectly shaped eyebrow, waiting for him to tell her that she was right.

James shook his head. "I've just been keeping tabs on my servant. I want to make sure he has everything prepared for when I arrive home. " He continued to lie. "I don't want to return home and find my bedchamber a mess. "

Natalia hummed skeptically. "No, I'm sure you don't. "

The Prince had the urge to tell her. He wanted to let someone know how he felt, he wanted to be able to share the news of how he was falling in love.

But the love was forbidden, and he could not. James simply faked a smile and changed the subject, but secretly wished that they were still talking about his Steven.

They continued to talk long into the night, reminiscing about good memories and awkwardly avoided speaking of the bad. James realized that he had a long trip to make in the morning and told Natalia good night, and went to his room.

He couldn't wait to see Steven.

~

Steven could still hear the harsh noise of the whip cracking, even hours after he'd received his punishment.

Rumlow had given him twenty lashes, each one more violent and harsh than the one before it.

The servant had never been more humiliated in his life. He'd had his shirt removed, baring his thin figure and protruding ribs, and was forced to lean forward on the cold floor, propping himself up on his hands and knees, which both gave out about after four lashes.

Blood had begun to pour from the gashes on about the third whip, as his body began to adopt a tremor, shaking from the force that his back was obligated to endure.

By the tenth, he'd begun to zone out from reality. His eyes fixed on the note from James that laid inches on the floor before him.

Do it for James, he chided himself as the eleventh lashing landed on his bare, delicate skin, causing him to yelp.

Steven squinted how eyes through the tears that brimmed within, staring at the letter. His small fingers grabbed at the tile on the floor, desperate for something to hold him down, to maybe ease the pain a little.

Rumlow struck the whip again, directly on his right shoulder blade, sending pain shooting through Steven.

After a few more lashes, Steven was sobbing, and his arms gave out as well as his mind. He'd passed out.

Now, hours later, the sharp sound of the whip meeting his skin still echoed in his ears. He sat alone in his room on the bed, hunched over, not able to sit up straight.

Peggy had saw him limping through the palace pathetically, still a sobbing mess, his shirt stained from the blood that continued to seep in crimson hues on his skin.

She'd helped him wash them, though he flinched every time that her fingers even grazed the nearby pulsing flesh, causing him to whimper. Peggy had applied a salve to his wounds and sent him up to his room, saying that she and Wanda would do his work for the rest of the day.

It was after dinner now, and Peggy sat with him on the edge of his bed. They hadn't spoken the entire time, until Peggy asked, "What was it that the king was so upset about?"

Steven's heart sped up. He wasn't sure what to tell her. Letting loose a sigh, he murmured quietly, "I got a letter. "

She arched an eyebrow. "A letter? "

Steven nodded as he tried to straighten his back, then flinched when a sharp pain pieced his body like a bullet.

Peggy was right beside him in an instant, supporting him with her arms. She moved the blanket back in his bed and helped him settle into a somewhat comfortable position on his stomach, and covered the blanket over him.

Like his mother used to do.

"Yes, a letter. " Steven finally answered her.

"And who was this letter from? A lady friend? " She smiled kindly, but it looked forced.

Slowly, he shook his head. "A male friend. " He whispered out.

Peggy's smile vanished. "Oh. " She said in a voice just as quietly.
Abruptly, her eyes widened as she repeated, "Oh. "

Steven nodded.
"And they found it. I never even knew it was coming. "

The woman said nothing as she neatly folded her hands in her lap and looked down. "So you're. . . You like men, then? "

He was silent for a moment, before confessing, with the smallest, quietest, "Yes. " He was about to apologize to her before stopping himself. He had nothing to apologize for. He was in love, and wasn't about to reprimand himself for it.

Peggy gave him a small smile as placed her hand over his. "If you're happy, and as long as he's treating you right, then I'm happy for you. "

Steven smiled, glad that his friend was supportive. "I am happy. "

She smiled again and leaned over, giving him a light kiss on the cheek. "Just make sure you're careful. I can't be cleaning your wounds every time your boyfriend decides to write you a letter. " She said playfully.

Steven chuckled. "I'll be careful, Peggy. I promise. "

"Good. " She stood up from the bed. "You better get some rest. Prince James is returning early tomorrow and I doubt he'll coddle you just because you're injured. "

His eyes widened with excitement. "He's coming back tomorrow?"

"Yes. You didn't know? "

The servant shook his head. "No, I didn't. "

"He should be back shortly after breakfast tomorrow. You'd better rest. " She turned the door handle. "Good night. Steven. "

"Good night, Peggy. "

Peggy opened the door and gave him one last smile before leaving.

There, alone in his room, Steven smiled giddily to himself, despite the constant pain that burned at his back.

The Prince would be returning.

Tomorrow.

He couldn't wait.