~Chapter Twenty -Two~

Steven stirred in his bed before fluttering his eyelids open.  Even before he had opened his eyes,  he had felt the lack of warmth that James's body provided.  Turning onto his side,  he saw James sitting on the edge of Steven's small bed,  his back facing him. 

Steven scooted over,  too tired to actually sit up,  and wrapped his small arms around James's bare waist and rested his head on his back.

James reached down to where Steven's hands were clasped together on his stomach.  He gingerly ran his fingers along Steven's hands and arms,  but said nothing. 

Unclasping his hands,  Steven propped himself up with one arm. "What's wrong? " He asked softly.  He was slightly disoriented from the about of sleep he'd gotten.  In fact,  he wasn't entirely sure what day it was. 

James turned around,  at last,  and looked at Steven.  He smiled,  but it looked forced.  "Nothing's wrong. " He swept his fingers through the blond tufts of Steven's hair,  which was adorably askew from being pressed up against a pillow during his slumber. 

"However, " James continued.  "I'm afraid I have to meet with my father today,  so unfortunately,  I won't be able to spend much time with you. "

Steven's face fell.  "Oh. " He mentally scolded himself,  he should consider himself fortunate that James spends as much time with him as he does. 

"I'm sorry, " The older man apologized.  "But I spoke with the overseer and told him you were taking the day off.  You've had a fever nearly the whole time you've slept. "

The blond's eyebrows quirked.  "You spoke to Rumlow?"

James's lips curled into a smirk.  "I did. "

Steven couldn't help but to laugh.  "He must've been terrified. "

Now James was laughing, too.  "I assure you,  he was.  I wasn't even mean,  but the look on his face was priceless. "

Just imagining it made Steven laugh even more.  Soon,  due to his amusement and his asthma, he was out of breath and wheezing. 

James had hurriedly helped him sit up and held him as he let out sorry little coughs. 

When he was nearly done,  James asked,  "Don't you have an inhaler? "

Steven shook his head.  "N-no. " He let out a few more coughs.  "I was going to get one, but-" He stopped to take a breath.  " But I had to buy medicine for my mother,  and couldn't afford one. "

James sighed softly. "Remind me to get you one. "

Looking up at him,  Steven frowned.  "You don't have to treat me like that. "

"Like what? "

"Pampering me.  Just because you have money and I don't doesn't mean you have to constantly buy me things. "

James repressed a chuckle.  "Stubborn thing,  aren't you?  If you won't take care of yourself, I will. " He meant it humorously,  but it just deepened Steven's scowl. 

"I can get by on my own. " He stated defiantly. 

The brunet quirked an eyebrow.  "But do you want to? "

Steven's face blushed scarlet as he slowly, timidly shook his head. 

Now James did laugh. He leaned down and gave him a  quick kiss on the lips.  "I'd better be on my way,  sweet thing. I'll be back. "