~Chapter Nineteen~

James stared through the drawing room windows at the invisible cold wind that shook the branches of trees and created an opening scene to the harsh winter that was to follow.  He hoped Steven would be able to stay warm.

The Prince longed miserably to seek after the servant,  to wrap him up in his arms and tell him that he wanted him so badly, no mater the cost. 

He shook his head as he snapped back to reality,  remembering what he came into the room for.  Opening a desk drawer,  he snatched out a whole stack if paper,  normally used for writing letters and signing documents.  Well,  now they would be used for Steven to draw on.

Rummaging through the other drawers,  James found an assortment of numerous pens and pencils and stuffed them in his pockets. It wasn't proper drawing material, but he promised himself he would find him the best quality of art supplies the moment he could. 

He exited the drawing room and charged towards his bedchamber, ignoring the odd looks that the servants were giving him as he stuffed the pens and pencils into his pants pockets.  Once he was in his room,  he went to the closet and found a cedar chest intended for holding extra sheets and blankets.  James opened it and retrieved all the extra blankets that were in it,  folding them up and stacking them.

James scooped up the pile of blankets he had assembled and balanced the sheets of paper on top of them, aware of how stupid he would look walking through the palace like that.

He headed out of his room with some difficulty opening up the door, and headed towards Steven's. 

As he walked up the stairs,  he passed one of the guards,  Clint,  he thought his name was.

Clint gave him an odd look before saying,  "Need some help? "

James was about to deny the offer when the stack of paper fell off the top of the blankets, scattering all over the stairs.  He cursed as he bent down the pick them up,  tipping over the tower of blankets in the process.

Clint simply laughed and leaned down to collect the papers,  stacking them and handing them to James.

James muttered a 'thank you' and Clint replied,  "Don't mention it. "

James found it odd how casually he was being spoken to, as if he was not royalty. Surprisingly,  he was alright with it.

"You're taking those to Steven's room,  right?  Let me help. "

It passed over James's head that Clint had basically just admitted to knowing about Steven and James as he handed half the blankets to Clint and they walked together towards Steven's room.

Clint opened the door as he flawlessly managed to balance all the blankets on his left hand as he turned the knob.

The room was vacant,  like the last time he was in it. It was late in the night,  so this surprised James.

"Is he still working? " He asked with a scowl on his face.

Clint shrugged.  "I haven't seen him all night.  Assumed he was wrapped up in bed with you."

James's face turned red as Clint's paled, like he just realized who he was speaking to.  "Your Majesty,  I am so sorr-"

James interrupted with a chuckle,  because it was a pretty funny statement.  "Don't worry. "

He placed the drawing supplies on the empty nightstand beside the bed and laid the blankets out carefully on the bed,  folding each corner neatly under the mattress,  smoothing out each little wrinkle.