[Chapter 1]

Chapter 1 (Jillian's POV)

I was running as fast as my feet would possibly take me; pumping my arms as fast as I could to keep up my speed.

My eyes didn’t waver from the track in front of me, as I knew that if I glanced over my shoulder to check up on my competition, I would falter in my strides and fall behind.

Keeping up my lead on the competition, I pushed myself harder, knowing that I had to win this. I had the drive, perseverance and strength to go home with gold medal, I just had to keep my eyes focused on the prize.

I couldn’t think about the fact that the chilly October air was slowing down those who succumbed to it, and although I could feel my lungs working overtime in my chest, I had to keep my eyes set two hundred metres in front of me.

Suddenly, a spark of adrenaline ignited inside of me as I started to push my body even harder. I could briefly register the fans in the stands cheering me on as I ran harder and harder, until I pushed across the finish line in first place.

Slowing down to a stop, I stood hunched over with my hands on my knees as my teammates me quickly, jumping up and down in celebration.

“That was amazing Jillian!”

“It didn’t even look like you were trying out there!”

“Congrats Jill!”

Giving them all a smile in acknowledgement, I wasn’t able to completely catch my breath and thank them before my coach ushered them all back to the sidelines.

Tossing me a full water bottle, my coach, Dan, smiled at me as I unscrewed the lid and took a sip. “Good run Thomas,” he said, “It’s sad to know that this’ll be your last meet with us.”

His words sparked my mind as I was reminded that this was the last track meet I’d run with this team, in this city, and maybe even in my life.

Five months ago my dad was notified by his law firm that he was put forward to assist with a top-secret case out of state. Ever since then he’s been working long hours in the office and over the phone to compile enough information for his case. Once the trial was over, and my father’s arguments had helped the primary lawyer win the case, the out of state firm offered my dad a position higher up in the firm. With the great pay he was set to receive and his will to never turn down a challenge, he accepted the offer.

Now, two months later, I was currently living my last week in my hometown, as me and my dad were set to move out of our house in just two days.

Swallowing the water in my mouth, I sent a smile back at him as I replied. “Thanks coach, but you know it’s not my fault my dad got transferred.”

“I know,” he replied with a nod, “I’m just not sure how I’ll run the track program without my captain.”

“You know Julia, Terrence, or Lyla can always handle being captain.”