[Chapter 16]

Chapter 16

“Eeep!”

Laughing at Saige’s reaction, I pulled the phone away from my ear until I could hear she had calmed down. “Come on Saige, it’s not that big of a deal.” I replied a couple seconds later, “It’s not like I won the lottery or anything.”

“No,” she replied excitedly, “But you finally kissed Parker! And even though I shouldn’t be enjoying this because he’s my cousin, which makes this whole thing a little bit awkward for me, I’m so happy that you finally made a move.”

“Actually, he kissed me first.” I admitted shyly, twirling my hair around my finger nervously.

“Well,” she stated teasingly, “Don’t you sound love struck.”

I couldn’t think of how to reply, as her comment made my heart skip a beat and a blush creep up my neck.

“He asked me out.”

The silence that followed my confession was enough to make me bite my lip in anticipation. I knew that Saige supported me with my crush, but I hadn’t had a chance to talk to her about Parker and I actually dating.

And at the thought of Parker and I possibly becoming official, the blush that had started to fade crept back onto my cheeks.

The silence, however, didn’t last all that long, as Saige suddenly screeched through the receiver. “OH MY GOD JILLIAN!” she exclaimed giddily, “Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!”

“Saige,” I started with laughter, “Calm down a bit.”

“Sorry, sorry,” she mumbled, “I’m just excited! I’ve seen you guys dance around each other for months, and I was starting to lose hope that you guys would ever get together. What, did he finally ask you out because he was dared or something?”

Even though her remark was meant to be a joke, a jolt of uneasiness pulsed through me before I shook it away. Parker wasn’t the type of guy who would take advantage of me in anyway, and after uncovering aspects of his past, I trusted him as much as I hoped that he trusted me,

“He wouldn’t do that.” I mumbled, more to reassure myself than anything else.

“Of course not,” she said in a hurry, her voice filled with guilt, “I was only teasing Jill.”

“It’s okay,” I breathed out, shaking my head before stopping, realizing she couldn’t see me. “It’s just that I’m a little bit nervous for tonight. I just really want it to go well.”

“Jill, everything is going to be fine tonight.” Saige said, trying to reassure me. “Like I’ve said a million times, you two are perfect for each other, and there’s nothing to worry about. Besides, haven’t you technically already been on dates with him?”

“Not really…”

“Okay,” she continued, although I could hear the sarcasm leaking through the phone,  “First of all, I’m pretty sure I remember you telling me something about a bowling alley and some ice cream…”