[Chapter 13]

Chapter 13

"So, did you know that this place existed when you told me to 'just keep going until you find something' or is it just a coincidence?" I asked Saige as I pulled into the parking lot.

Looking into the rearview mirror as I came to a stop, I saw a small, yet mischievous smile growing on her face. "Total coincidence." she replied cheekily, making me roll my eyes as the three of us piled out of the car.

Back at the cemetery, after Parker and I had found Saige leaning up against my car, we all decided to go ahead with Parker's plan of just doing something fun. I thoroughly agreed that they both deserved a couple hours of joy amidst the sadness that already consumed the both of them over the course of the day, but I had absolutely no clue at what to do.

"So, any suggestions?" I had asked, and while Parker simply shrugged, telling us that he really didn't care what we did, Saige told me to just turn out of the cemetery and just keep driving until we found something to do.

And I did exactly that.

After pulling a sharp left and heading down the street, and away from town, we drove for a solid half an hour. The music was blaring through speakers as we left the city limits and headed down a long and lonesome road that looked to lead to the middle of nowhere. I was on the verge of turning around and heading back into town when a sign for a pancake house shone bright through the cold winds outside.

Without hesitating, I turned my blinker on and pulled into the surprisingly full parking lot.

"You just better hope the food is worth it." I said teasingly to Saige as the three of us piled out of the car and headed towards the building.

Opening the door to the pancake house, my ears were quickly met by the sound of the chiming bell that hung above the walkway. As the bell stopped ringing, the only thing I could focus on for a moment was the smell that was wafting towards me. The smell of syrup, freshly cooked pancakes, and a greasy grill was all it took for me to completely forget about why we were here in the first place and just relax.

"Table for 3?" an unfamiliar voice asked, and when I snapped out of my daze, I saw both Parker and Saige looking at me with amused looks on their faces, and a hostess smiling at me expectantly.

"Oh umm, yeah." I replied slowly as the hostess nodded and gestured for us to follow her.

Saige stepped forward quickly, while Parker and I trailed slightly behind her.

"You okay?" he asked quietly, digging his hands into his pockets as he smirked slightly.

"I'm fine," I said, rolling my eyes, "I just zoned out for a second."

"Because of the food?" he guessed teasingly, a wicked smile spreading across his face.

"Shut up." I mumbled embarrassedly, a slight heat rising on my cheeks as I scurried ahead slightly.