[Chapter 10]

Chapter 10

Turning the tap off in the bathroom, I wiped my hands on the towel that was hung up on the wall and looked at myself in the mirror.

I looked just like I had when I left my house, purple paint spots and all, but for some reason, I could also see the confusion that was clouding around me.

My mind was reeling with what had happened just minutes before in Parker’s bedroom. I was almost positive that we would’ve kissed if Saige’s mom hadn’t called up to us, and when I really thought about it, I probably wouldn’t have minded.

The problem, however, was the fact that as soon as he realized what he was doing, he ran away, telling me that I deserved something better. Did he think that he wasn’t good enough for me? That just because he had a past, I wouldn’t want to see if our futures were intertwined?

As I tried to reason Parker’s actions, I headed downstairs where Saige and her mom were waiting for me at the kitchen table.

“You didn’t have to wait for me.” I said, taking the empty seat beside Saige.

“You’re our guest, so it was only appropriate.” Susan replied, smiling kindly at me before rolling her eyes at her daughter, who had already shoveling piles of food onto the plate in front of her.

Returning her smile, I kept quiet as I looked at the food laid out in front of me. When she said that we’d be having chicken and potatoes, I hadn’t expected much else, but she had gone over and beyond for just the three of us. There were the two main courses, as expected, however, there was also a pan of roasted vegetables, a side of macaroni salad, and a plate of garlic bread.

I didn’t know where to start when I piled my food onto my plate, but as I dug in, I was reminded what a real home-cooked meal tasted like.

“This is delicious.” I commented as I swallowed my first bite.

“Thank you, but it’s really nothing, just a bit of spices mixed in to enhance the taste.”

“She likes to think that her cooking isn’t the best thing on this planet, when really, she’s just being humble.” Saige said quietly, leaning towards me as she pointed across the table with her fork.

“Well it’s definitely better than the take-out I was supposed to be ordering tonight.” I said, smiling as I took another bite.

This time though, Susan didn’t reply, choosing to glance at the empty place beside her, where I noticed for the first time, a plate had been set out.

“Didn’t I hear Parker come in a couple of minutes ago?” she asked in a confused voice. “I thought he’d want something to eat.”

I didn’t want to say anything, as it wasn’t my place to get involved in their families problems, instead, I just kept my head ducked guilty, knowing that it was my fault Parker wasn’t sitting at the table with us.