Chapter 27: Inserted

Chapter 27 Inserted 

I woke up early the next morning. Ian was still sleeping soundly when I slipped out, quietly replacing the red door that leaned over the entrance to our cave behind me, in search of Melanie. I found her in the kitchen, helping Trudy and Geoffrey pull rolls out of the makeshift oven. She smiled when she saw me.

"Hey, Wanda." Trudy and Geoffrey looked up at Melanie's greeting, nodding hello with hands full of trays of steaming bread.

"Hi. Mel, can I talk to you for a minute?" I asked.

She set down the tray she was holding and wiped her hands on her pants. "Sure."

I led her out of the kitchen and to a counter at the edge of the dining room. A few people were milling about, eating an early breakfast and talking before the harvest today. But this corner of the room was mostly empty.

"What's up?"

I took a deep breath. "Mel...Mark isn't waking up. I was there last night talking to Candy and she said...she's afraid this means he won't wake up. And it's not good for his body to stay like this. He doesn't have much time before..." my voice trailed off.

Melanie's hazel eyes--the hazel eyes that used to be mine--grew sad. "I know." she whispered.

"Lily thought...Sunny still needs a body, and if we wait much longer Mark's brain will atrophy too much for him to ever have a chance. But...if we inserted Sunny, at least he'd have a chance."I searched her face.

She bit her lower lip, a habit I remembered from when we shared her body. She was holding back tears. "It wouldn't be too weird  for her, changing genders like that?" her voice was quiet.

I felt oddly proud that she was concerned for Sunny as much as for Mark. We really had changed each other. "Sunny will be fine. I actually think a change might be good for her. But...we wanted to ask you. Mark was your friend, so it's your decision."

Mel closed her eyes and exhaled slowly, another familiar gesture. I didn't think I'd ever get over the disorienting sensation of looking in a fun house mirror whenever I talked to her, no matter how comfortable I got in my new body.

She nodded decisively, opening her eyes. "Ok...yeah. Yeah, we should do it. It's his best chance, and if he doesn't come back, Sunny deserves..." her voice cracked.

"I'm sorry, Mel." I stepped forward and hugged her, pulling her head down so her forehead rested on my shoulder. 

"I was just hoping he would wake up. He was a good friend, before. I miss him."

"I know, Mel." I whispered, my voice thick. "We shouldn't have taken him away." We shouldn't have taken any of it away. Guilt swirled in my stomach and I was again reminded how wrong the souls were to come here and take the humans' planet away. 

"It's not your fault." Melanie protested, pulling back to look at me. My guilt must have showed in my voice. Or maybe not. I forgot sometimes because it was her body we shared that she can read me just as well as I read her. Maybe better. She took a steadying breath and stepped back. "Okay. Let's give Sunny a body, huh? Then we can finally have that wedding everyone was looking forward to."

The playful gleam was back in her eyes, albeit a little forced, and I found myself smiling, knowing she would be okay. Melanie was strong. She never ceased to amaze me.

***

Jamie found us on our way to Lily's room. I could tell he had just woken up: his soft brown hair was sticking up and his pants were cuffed unevenly. He looked like an energetic puppy who had just gotten up from a nap to find his masters had arrived home from work. I couldn't help but smile as I reached up to smooth out his bangs. My hand bumped into Melanie's, who apparently had the same idea. We shared a brief, startled look and Jamie laughed at our surprised expressions.