Chapter 13: Understood

Sorry this took me so long. This chapter was hard for me to write for some reason. Anyways, here you go. Read, enjoy, vote, comment, fan, whatever. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 13 Understood

I instinctively looked at Sunny. In the months that she had lived with us, I sometimes forgot about Jodi. I had never met her, so her body was Sunny to me.

Sunny smiled weakly at me, but I could tell she was fighting back tears. I glanced at Melanie. By her face, I knew that we were thinking the same thing.

"Uh...Kyle..." Melanie began. "Could we talk to Sunny for a minute?...Alone." she gave him a pointed look.

"I guess...sure. But th-this is good, right? It means we can get her back!" Kyle stammered.

"It's progress." I replied absently. My eyes were trained on Sunny. I glanced up to see Kyle uncertainly walking away. I stepped toward Sunny. Our eyes met and the tears she had been trying so hard to hold back spilled over. I wrapped my arms around her and she choked back a sob. I rubbed her back. Melanie came up and patted her head, stroked her dark, curly hair. After a few minutes she calmed down.

"I don't want to go, Wanda." she sniffed. "But...but I have to. Kyle loves Jodi. I can't keep her from him."

I felt tears spring to my eyes and my vision got blurry. I knew all too well the flurry of emotions swirling inside her.

"I know." I whispered, my throat thick. "But you don't have to leave. You're just as welcome here as I am."

Sunny coughed. "Does it get better?" Her eyes bored into mine. I knew what she was asking: Will I stop loving Kyle? Is it just this body?

I sighed. "When I was...in this situation..." I began awkwardly, not knowing how to describe it. "Um...well, I had the same questions...and...well..." I took a deep breath. "I honestly don't know how much of your feelings come from your body and how much comes from you. When I first woke up in this body, I still loved Jared. Not like I used to. It was more like...a memory. And now that I have Ian...well, I still love him, but like I love all of these humans. Like my family."

Sunny sniffed. "Now that you have Ian." She echoed. "Who-" Her voice broke. "I don't have an Ian." She choked.

"You've got me. I'll help you, I promise. You will be safe and happy here, just like me. Okay?"

I held her away from me and looked at her. Her eyes met mine and she nodded. "Okay." she mumbled miserably. She wiped at her eyes.

"Can you hear Jodi now?" Melanie asked gently.

"Um...I don't know. I can try." Sunny replied. We waited in silence for a moment. Then Sunny winced.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"She's just...very angry. I don't like it."

"I know the feeling." I muttered. Melanie chuckled.

"She's also scared." Sunny added. She took a deep breath. "She wants Kyle."

I frowned. "Are you ready to see him again? I know it's hard. We can wait awhile if you want."

Sunny shook her head. "No. I'm beginning to understand what you did when you were in Melanie. This body is hers and it's wrong for me to have it. I should go." She started crying again.