Chapter 14: Shocked

I hope you enjoy this chapter! Sorry it took so long to get it up!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 14 Shocked

We decided to put off the wedding until we could find another body for Sunny. Jared realized that we could use our extra cryotanks to keep the refrigerated things cold until we were ready to use them.

Jodi woke up as soon as the Sleep had worn off. It was odd, even for me, to see the body that I had so long thought of as Sunny's with a different awareness controlling it. Jodi was a stranger to me; to all of us, except for Kyle and Ian. The humans all accepted her right away, of course. She was human, after all. A miracle.

Sunny's cryotank stayed with Ian and me in our room, hidden. That had been Jamie's idea. We kept an extra, decoy one running in Doc's hospital, just in case anyone got any ideas about harming Sunny. Matt had been quiet about his distaste for the souls lately, but I still didn't trust him.

We decided it would be best to wait a month or two before we went searching for a body for Sunny; we had been going out quite a bit lately and we didn't want to attract too much attention to ourselves. I also thought that Kyle and Jodi could use some time together and I knew Sunny needed a break. A few months in a cryotank would be good for her; the average flight from world to world took decades.

One night, a few weeks after Jodi came back, I was working in the kitchen with Trudy and Sharon. We were baking bread--Sharon and I kneaded the dough and Trudy balanced the full trays on the stones in the oven and stacked the warm rolls into plastic containers.

I was telling them some of the stories we used to invent on the See Weed planet, to help pass the time, about the violent, brutal humans of Earth. I found the old exaggerations ridiculous now, and the three of us would laugh out loud at the craziness of the tales.

"Let's see...what's another one...?" I mused, my arms stuck elbow-deep in the gluey dough.

"Ah!" Trudy cried from behind me. I twisted my shoulders, trying to see what was going on.

"Are you alright?" Sharon asked.

Trudy was holding her right wrist in her left hand. Her face was tight. "Fine." she breathed. "Just burned myself."

I immediately started to free myself from the dough. Sharon did the same. Once I got my hands out, I knelt next to Trudy. "Let me see." I gingerly took her hand. It was red. "Come on, let's get you to Doc. I'm sure we have something for burns." I helped her stand. "You okay?" I asked. She nodded.

"Do you need help, Wanda? Because someone should stay to keep an eye on the bread and be sure it doesn't burn."

"No, we're fine. You stay." Sharon nodded and turned back to her work.

I walked Trudy toward the long southern tunnel to Doc's hospital. A dim blue light came through the doorway. Doc was asleep at his desk. He must've dozed off while he was studying Candy's notes on healing. He tried so hard. I decided not to wake him. I led Trudy to a cot and sat her down on it. Then I walked to the corner where we stored the medical supplies and cryotanks. Matt was standing there, his back to me, studying something in his hands.

"Hello." I said. He started and whirled around. He must not have heard me approach. I opened my mouth to apologize for scaring him. Then I looked at his hands and gasped.

He was holding Sunny's decoy cryotank, trying to open it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, sorry it took so long to get this up. I hope you enjoyed it and to make it up to you I will ask a question, and you can comment the answer. The first person to answer it correctly will get the next chapter dedicated to them. So, here it goes:

What is the first thing Sunny says to Kyle?