Prologue

Four Years Ago...

The volcano was restless, and so were the dragons in the NightWing fortress.

Secretkeeper felt the mountain rumble under her talons as she hurried through the stone halls. There were too many dragons awake—too many witnesses who might wonder where she was going in the middle of the night. She kept her head down, but she felt curious looks sliding under her scales with each dragon she passed.

How many of them knew what tonight should have been? Did anyone remember?

She didn't need to count the days to know. Her bones ached with knowing. It was like a voice in her head screaming, Tonight! It's hatching! Hurry! Don't get caught! Hurry!

     Because if it happened and she wasn't there...

     She imagined the hungry panthers prowling the undergrowth, dangerous crocodiles with gleaming teeth, or unpredictable curious idiot dragons who might do anything with a mysterious abandoned egg.

     But she couldn't run, not with other NightWings still awake and watching her. Why tonight, of all nights? Usually everyone in the tribe slept like sloths from dusk to dawn.

     Just before she reached the ledge, she passed Mastermind. Mastermind gave her a hard stare. He knows, she thought with a stab of panic.

    But it was Farsight who stopped and spoke to her. "Oh, Secretkeeper, poor dear," she said, folding her wings.

Secretkeeper winced, her name has never sounded more appropriate. Sometimes she wondered if her name had made her this way—if she was unconsciously trying to live up to it with the biggest, most unforgivable secret a NightWing could have.

     "The egg you lost was due to hatch tonight, wasn't it? Are you alright?" Farsight went on, "Do you want someone to sit with you?"

No! Secretkeeper curled her claws in she shook her head. "I'm fine," she said, "Just... going to get some air."

     "Do you want some company?" Farsight asked. Behind her, Mastermind frowned irritably. "I know it's not the same, but when Morrowseer took my egg—"

     Secretkeeper could only think of one way to stop her, it was harsh, but she had to, because she had to go, right now.

     "It's not the same at all!" She snapped, shooting a burst of flame from her nose. "You have two surviving dragonets, and one of them is if off in the continent, being pampered and overfed and worshiped by the Talons of Peace. So don't try to pretend like you understand me!"

     Farsight recoiled like she had bitten her. Mastermind looked startled, perhaps a little impressed... maybe a little suspicious. Secretkeeper whirled and flew up the corridor before either of them could say anything else.

     I'll apologize tomorrow. She'll forgive me. Farsight is like that.

      She took a running leap off the ledge onto the black sand beach. Behind her, the volcano rumbled again; the dark clouds overhead glowed with an ominous red light. The air was heavy and suffocating, smelling of death and rotting eggs and burning rocks. Secretkeeper swooped low over the red-gold lava river, the brightest spot on the island, and then veered towards the cave.

Only one guard tonight. Nobody really believed any of the rainforest dragons would find their secret tunnel. The guards were often alseep when she came, and Secretkeeper had frequently been able to sneak past without waking them.

But not tonight, Preyhunter was sitting on the ledge overlooking the beach, watching the volcano and fidgeting nervously.

"Do you think it'll be tonight?" He asked her as she landed besides him. It took her a frightening, disorientated moment to realize he hadn't guessed her secret. He probably didn't even remember that she'd lost her egg—she was only one of the many dragons had in the last few years after all. He was talking about the volcano.