Chapter Thirteen: The Truth

Starseeker's POV:

Winter's words had an instant effect on the other three dragonets.

He's right, Kinkajou realized. How —what
Turtle's mind was as opaque as ever, but he shifted on his talons and gave Moon a curious frown. Worst of all was Qibli.
How did they know? They couldn't have done this —could they? They're dragons with secrets, and Thorn said not to trust the NightWings —but why would they? I know I haven't figured her out yet, but I don't see violence in her. And yet, how did they know? But if they set the fire, why would they try to stop us from going in? But surely she wouldn't —she couldn't have —I can't even believe I'm thinking this —"You didn't —sorry, but —you didn't have anything to do with —" he started.

"No!" Moon cried. "Of course not!" I saw Moon brush away tears while trying to keep her voice steady. "I--We would never hurt anyone."

"I know," Qibli said, but not convincingly. They were better at hunting than anyone expected. There is strength beneath those matching scales. In the right circumstances, wouldn't any dragon be capable of hurting another? Even her? But why?

"If you didn't do it, then do you know who did?" Turtle asked. He hadn't spoken since the blast; he hadn't moved from his spot by the wall until he came chasing after them. He looked shaken, but not destroyed. Did he suspect us, too?

"Or maybe you saw something?" Kinkajou suggested hopefully. "Something that warned you?" That might work, Darkstalker said. At least two of them want to believe that; start with that lie and build from there.

I don't want to tell them any lies, Moon pointed out. Even ones they want to believe. I added. I saw Moon press her front claws together as thoughts echoed through our heads: Never never tell anyone about your curse. Never let anyone find out. It will be the end of everything.

"There's only one explanation," Winter hissed through his teeth, looking down his snout at her. "You did this. You set that fire. I don't know why yet, but I will find out." The other explanation was there, hovering at the edge of his mind, but he couldn't bring himself to believe it yet. He'd been so sure —so sure —that the NightWings were lying about their powers all along.

"I swear we didn't," Moon said. She spread her wings helplessly. "Please believe me."

"Can't you tell us how you both knew?" Kinkajou pleaded. Winter stared at us for a long minute, and then he lashed his tail, spikes clattering against the stubby pillars dotting the floor.

"I will give you one chance, NightWings. You have until midnight tomorrow to tell me the truth —or I'm going to tell everyone what you did." He took a step toward Moon and she flinched back. "I knew NightWings couldn't be trusted, but I was starting to think maybe you were different. Clearly I was wrong." He stalked out of the cave. Moon buried her face in her talons, shaking. Kinkajou reached for her hesitantly. The doubt in Kinkajou's mind —of all dragons —made Moon want to disappear completely.

I don't understand, Qibli was thinking, and that was clearly an unfamiliar and uncomfortable experience for him. His brain kept circling all the possibilities ... including the truth, but he kept shying away from it. I knew it wouldn't be long before he came to it, though. But he wasn't the first one there.