February, 3, 2008: Life has a beautiful, crazy design (i)

We sat on a roof, named every star
shared every bruise and showed every scar
hope has its proof put your hand in mine
Life has a beautiful crazy design.
and time seemed to say
Forget the world and its weight
And here I just want to stay
Amazing day amazing day.
(Coldplay)

********

They were in the middle of planning for University Week and Maine was on her way to Richard's house for the first time for an impromptu meeting. She found herself a little giddy that morning, actually taking time to pick out what to wear.

Something nice, but not too nice. Something casual, but not too casual.

Since officially meeting Richard a couple of weeks ago, Maine could not help but harbor a little, harmless crush on him--he was Richard Faulkerson, Jr. after all.

Maine was skeptical at first, Richard was known to be a little.. aloof? The campus sweetheart shrouded with a little mystery. He was cordial and civil with everyone, but he's known to keep his group of friends tight-knit. Imagine her surprise when he suggested to resume their planning session at his house when he found out she conveniently lived at the neighboring subdivision.

She smiled to herself when she recalled their conversation the day before.

********
"Maine, can we resume tomorrow? It's getting a little late."

"But tomorrow's a Sunday. The school's closed, Richard."

"Hmm", he thinks aloud and starts fixing his things, "how about we meet at my house tomorrow?"

Did Richard Faulkerson, Jr. actually ask me to come over?

She felt like her brain short-circuited a little. So she was startled when he suddenly threw his head back and laughed this boyish laugh--the dimple on his left cheek becoming more prominent.

I must have looked real stupid--my mouth agape, eyes wide. Real smooth, Maine. Smooth.

"Relax, Maine. My mom and my little sister will be there too." He laughs a little more and he gets up to leave. "I'll text you my address. See you tomorrow, Maine."

*******

She drives slowly, taking her time once she entered their subdivision. She was a little familiar with the place, but she hasn't been around in a long time. She checks every street sign she passes and kept an eye out for 16th street.

By the time she passed 13th street, she noticed a middle-aged woman jogging along the pedestrian lane. She remembered her own mother and how Maine was forced to jogging with her every morning during summers she spent visiting them. Both of Maine's parents worked abroad and she hasn't seen them since went back to San Francisco after Christmas break.

She passed by the woman and yet somehow she still watched her through the rear view mirror. The woman seemed to be slowing down, slightly huffing, her chest visible heaving. eventually stopped, clutched the wall nearest her.

Alarmed, Maine immediately pulled over and ran towards the woman. Just as she slammed her car's door, she noticed how the woman was now slumped to the ground, clutching her chest.

"Ma'am! Are you okay?!", Maine asked as she helped the woman get up as slowly and as gently as possible. The woman coughs uncontrollably for a while, and Maine pats the woman's back lightly. "Hija, okay lang ako. Thank you. You didn't have to help me, but thank you nonetheless." The woman gave Maine this warm smile which reached her tired eyes.