August 31, 2016: The light that you left me, will Everglow

"The number you dialed is currently unavailable."

Fuck.

Maine stars at her phone as the call dropped automatically, "Seryoso ba to Rj!?"

Ilang araw na kita hindi nakikita o nakakausap. Iniiwasan mo ba talaga ako?

She groans and slumps in front of the table in front of her as her helper entered the dining area. The older woman watched as her alaga scowls in frustration, staring at her phone. "Nako Menggay, kumain ka na muna ng almusal bago ka pumasok. Nakabusangot na yang mukha mo, umaga pa lang."

Maine visibly straightens up and starts fiddling with the plate of food manang placed in front of her, "Menggay, kumain ka ng mabuti. Isusumbong kita kay Rj niyan."

"Hay nako Manang, wag nio na muna banggitin sakin ung lalaking yun."

"Oh bakit naman?"

"Kasi naman ho, ilang araw na hindi sumasagot sa mga tawag namin. Kahit mga tawag ko hindi niya sinasagot? Puro habilin lang daw sa secretary niya! Paano na kung may mangyari sa kanya?" Maine flails her arms animately as he rambled on, "Hindi na naman niya naisip na may mga nagaalala sa kanya."

Manang couldn't stop herself from smiling--she knew Menggay was happy with her relationship with Carlo, but somehow, even after all these years, Richard still had her vote. She had seen them at their best and their worst, their hits and misses, and she still hoped that it'll be Richard and Maine at the end of the road. "Ikaw talagang bata ka, aminin mo lang, namimiss mo na si Rj. At nagtatampo ka dahil kahit ikaw hindi niya kinakausap."

Maine's eyes widen in shock, "Kayo talaga Manang! Kung ano anong sinasabi niyo. Nagaalala lang naman ako kay Rj."

"Puntahan mo na kaya sa bahay si Rj, baka kung napaano na."

********

Maine went on leave for the afternoon, intending to go to Richard's condo and check up on him. She has been staring at his mahogany doors for about five minutes--she wasn't sure why, but Maine was extremely anxious about seeing Richard. She slowly raises her hands to start knocking on the door, but she knew it would be futile.

Instead, she opens her purse, fishes out a set of keys, and picks out what she remembers to be the keys to Richard's apartment. She smiles as she recalls the day Richard handed them over to her. He had this nonchalant attitude about it, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world to do--as if it was only proper she had the keys to his home.

When she finally opened the door, she found him slumped and napping on the kitchen table, countless papers in disarray and scattered throughout the expanse of the table. She sits down directly in front of him as silently as she could muster.

For a while she just looks at Richard--slightly snoring, mouth agape, the light of his laptop illuminating half of his face.

Bakit ganon,Rj? It's just been a couple of days, but I feel like you've been far away for such a long time. I just saw you a couple of days ago, but I miss you all the same.

Please don't ice me out anymore.

Hindi ako sanay na ganito tayo eh. Hindi ako sanay na ganyan ka.

She stands up slowly and walks over to his side. She closes his laptop and starts organizing his papers the way she knows he likes them, when she noticed him start to stir awake. "Menggay?" Richard asks groggily, "What are you doing here?"

Maine sighs as she notices his eyes were red and incredibly puffy, as if he hasn't slept for days. She pulls the chair beside him and sits to face him.