Chapter Fourteen

"Dude, that was insane," Cisco said to Barry as he cleaned off his suit. He was referring to Barry saving a woman from a car just before it exploded. "I mean, even I'm having a hard time getting mad at you for dirtying up my suit."

Barry laughed. "Okay, when are we going to start considering it my suit?" he asked.

"I'd be comfortable calling it our suit," Cisco replied.

"'Our suit'," Barry said under his breath, sounding slightly annoyed.

I just laughed.

"Tonight was the fastest you've ever run," Caitlin said.

"Yes, you're training is paying off," Harry said from behind his computer. Barry walked over to him as Harry continued to speak. "That couple is alive tonight because of you."

"I can still get faster. I know I can," Barry said.

"And you will one day, I'm sure but for today, I'd say you've fulfilled your save quota. Proper rest is what you need, as do we all," Harry said.

"Better yet, what we all need is a proper drink. Who's up for a round?" Cisco hollered.

Barry started putting on his jacket. "Oh, dude, it's movie night with Joe. I can't, but I'll see you guys tomorrow, all right?"

"Trust me, it's best not to have an engaged girl to rain on your parade. See you tomorrow," I said.

"Bye," Caitlin said.

"Night," I replied as I walked out the door with Barry.

-

The next morning we were all gathered at S.T.A.R. Labs looking at a sample Barry found at Iron Heights Prison where a prisoner escaped.

"Not even Barry's cells move this fast," Caitlin said, "I've never seen anything like it."

"So Clay Parker is a meta-human?" Joe asked.

Harry stared at the DNA sample for a bit before speaking. "Not so fast. The particulate residue Barry gathered at Iron Heights does contain Clay Parker's DNA, but also DNA of a woman."

Barry turned to Cisco. "Run her DNA against the CCPD criminal database. See if you get a match."

Cisco typed on his computer. "Yahtzee," he said once he found what he was looking for. "Her name's Shawna Baez. Mostly petty crimes and this girl likes to party, apparently. Long list of disorderly conducts at local bars."

"So I'm guessing we find her, we find Clay Parker. Barry?" Joe said.

"Yeah," Barry said, following Joe out.

"In the meantime, let's track these particulates and see how they work," Harry said as wheeled away. I followed.

"I'll be right with you guys," Cisco called out after us.

-

I'd left S.T.A.R. Labs for a bit to go get myself a burger. I was feeling generous so I happened to get some for everyone else, as well. Imagine my surprise when I come back to find Barry's been shot at.

"This is a bullet wound," Caitlin said to Barry as I walked into the infirmary. "You're lucky it just barely broke the skin."

"Guess I'm a lot faster than a speeding bullet," Barry replied.

I walked closer to get a better look. It looked like a bruise. "Yikes. That looks like it hurt. You're just lucky it didn't actually penetrate the skin."

Barry turned, looked me in the eye and said, "not a good enough reason to use the word penetrate." Then the two of us broke down into a fit of laughter.