xxii.

xxii. WHEN WE COLLIDE

○ ○ ○

BEACON TRIBE VILLAGE, 1458

"But last time you used fire," Rae said in their native tongue.

"That was because we were looking for Daniel, for a specific person," Atohi replied. "This time we're trying to predict the future of our families—our pack. If it was just your personal future I was trying to predict, I'd look in your palm."

Rae nodded silently, knowing not to question Atohi. She was a shaman after all—well, practicing to be a shaman—a witch. And their words and ways were to never be questioned by anyone; not even those descended from the First Men—the founders and old leaders of their tribe.

Jolon then entered the tent, carefully balancing a large clay bowl full to the brim with water from the creek. In his other hand, he held a blood red candle. "I've got all of the things you asked for, Atohi."

"Water was sacred to the Druids," Atohi explained, as Jolon placed the dish on the floor and the three of them sat around it.

"Apparently, everything was sacred to the Druids," said Rae.

"Hush, Rae. Now, put the candle in the holder and light it. Then I'm going to pour the melted wax into the water, and the shape it makes will tell me the answers to your questions. My Elisi used many different melted materials, but wax will do fine." When Jolon had lit the candle, Atohi glanced at it sideways and took a deep breath. "I'm getting scared to do this."

"You don't have to, Atohi." Rae said softly. "I know that you've only started practicing with your abilities."

"I know. But I want to—I have to. And it's not these kind of rituals that scare me; it's calling out to the Spirits and getting taken over that's so awful. My Elisi says that I'll grow use to the sensation but I hate it. It's like somebody else getting into my body." She paused, taking another breath. "Anyway, here goes. Put out the fire, Jolon. Give me a moment to get attuned and then ask your questions."

In the silence of the dim tent, Rae watched the candlelight flickering over Atohi's lowered eyelashes and Jolon's somber face. She looked down at her own hands in her lap, pale against the blackness of the animal skin clothes. Then she looked at the dancing flame.

"Okay," Atohi said softly and took the candle.

Rae's fingers twined together, clenching hard, but she spoke in a low voice so as not to break the atmosphere. "Will there be an uprising from the neighboring packs?"

Atohi tilted the candles so that the flame licked up its sides. Hot crimson wax streamed down like water into the bowl and formed round globules there. "I was afraid of that." Atohi murmured. "That's not an answer—nothing. Try a different question."

Disappointed, Rae sat back, fingernails biting into her palms.

"Can we find the man that's been slaughtering our people? And can we defeat him?"

Atohi muttered something under her breath as she tilted the candle again. This time the wax formed a circle, a lumpy blood red ring. "Unity—the symbol of people joining together. It means we can find and defeat this man if we join with other packs."

Realizing that she was still pouring, Atohi quickly righted the candle, looking into the bowl again. The last spill of wax had formed a thin, straight line. "That's a sword—sacrifice. We can do it if we join together, but one of us will have to make a great sacrifice."