Chapter 14

We sat there for hours, body's pressed tightly together, eyes filled with every emotion at once, before fading into nothing at all. We were in shock. That much was evident. Nick's eyes were still glazed over in terror, his heartbeat erratic in his chest.
The faint whir of sirens could be heard in the distance, cops and ambulances alike speeding towards the flames that seemed to travel for miles.
I tried to ignore the fact that Wade never came back, unable to comprehend the possibility that he never made it at all.
'Jess?' I flinched, Nick's husky voice startling me out of my thoughts.
'Mhm?' I questioned, pressing my face into the crook of his neck, silent tears still slipping down my cheeks.
'Who's that?' He mumbled, fear evident in his voice. My heart hammered in my chest as I turned, eyes filled with fright.
There they were, a single silhouette, enveloped in shadows, limped towards us, golden eyes enlightened by the blaze.
That was all it took. Those familiar golden eyes, beautiful as always. Warm, soft, forgiving.
'Wade!' I screamed, leaping from Nicks arms and sprinting towards my best friend, coming to a sudden stop before him I tentatively reached out, gentle hands reaching for his beaten and battered face, Palm cupping his torn cheek.
'Your okay...' He breathed, eyes swimming with emotion. 'Fuck... Your okay' he reached out, rough thumbs swiping the tears from under my eyes before pulling me into a bone crushing hug.
We stood there for a long time, safe In each other's embrace, only pulling away when the noise of the sirens morphed into red and blue flashing lights, and suddenly there were gloved hands grabbing me, seating me in the back of an ambulance, clinical touches soothing the aching pains that dreaded house had caused.

'Babe?' I turned slightly, blanket curled protectively round my body.
'Yeah nick?'
'Come 'ere' he pulled me tightly to his chest, hands running softly through my hair. 'They found Carly, she's okay'
'Thank God." I muttered, breathing a sigh of relief, "do they know what happened to her?"
"She's in shock I guess..." He trailed off, "wasn't making much sense, I mean she watched two people die, how could we expect her to comprehend that?" He questioned, continuing to thread his hands through my hair. " she's at the station, they're gonna take us there soon, just after they've got Wade sorted and to the hospital." I hiccuped at the mention of Wade's condition, a shiver wracking through my body.
"We made it" I whispered back.
"Yeah Jess. We did."

- so this has been fun, sorry for the kinda abrupt ending, I'm not very good at those. I know it took me forever to update and I'm truly sorry for that. But thanks for sticking around. This was the last chapter of The Promise, thanks for all the love and support.
All my love - Ami <3