XVI.

Killafornia 

Vanity

It's been a solid two weeks and I'm still feeling on top of the world. Today was just a little different, I was still happy for the most part but I was quickly reminded of the 'being watched sensation' when I walked outside to grab the newspaper from the end of the driveway. I stood here holding the bag with the neatly rolled up newspaper inside. The street was quiet, with an occasional car or two passing by and even some neighbors outside getting some yard work done since the leaves of fall coated the laws and sidewalk. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, there weren't any peculiar people loitering around and not even an odd car to stand out but that strange chill lingered on the back of my neck. 

I didn't want to freak myself out so I turned back around and headed back inside. Not to mention, I was pretty hungry and CJ should be back home to take me to my therapy session. I was looking forward to talking with her, she was understanding, didn't try to pry out information. She let me willing choose what to share but there was something to her that made me want to tell her everything and I listened intently to her responses. 

"I know you're hungry too." I said to my stomach as I rested a hand right over the spot where I felt it grumble. "I just don't know what to eat that won't make me go running to the toilet. You're too picky." I haven't had bad morning sickness but there are a few times where I find myself needing to make way to the bathroom. 

I wanted some eggs and toast, just something easy on my stomach because it was already feeling a little iffy. I grabbed two eggs and the container of butter, setting it on the counter before grabbing the pan and putting it on the stove top. A scoop of butter in the pan as it was warming up and two pieces of bread were inserted into the toaster. In no time I could hear the popping of the butter in the pan, cracking the eggs against the pan and dropping the contents into the pan, it sizzled instantly and the noise brought another grumble from my stomach. 

I cleaned up the kitchen and was just about to sit down and enjoy the simple breakfast but the knock at the door caught me off guard. I looked at the time on the stove and it was too early to be CJ, plus he has a key to get in. Making my way over, I looked through the peep hole to see Chastity's wild curls basically inhaling her face. 

"Hi, what are you doing here?" I asked when I opened the door and pulled her in for a strong hug. I basically got a mouthful of those curls but I caught her laughing at the over dramatized choking noises I was making.

"You drama queen and I had some spare time, thought I'd come down and see what was going on with the family down in Riverside. Plus Darnell out of town so I have no one to smoke with." A slight roll of my eyes, I closed the door behind her and offered her to take a seat with me at the table. "Where's Meanie McFuck-Bucket? His car not in the driveway." 

"Really? That name?" I questioned as I took my seat in front of my plate, eyes fixated on the toast especially because I put so much butter on it. Probably not the best thing to do but I wanted that buttery taste coating my tongue with each bite. 

"He's mean as all hell to me, he rightfully earned that name." 

"Anyways, he's out with Rack City." The annoyed groan that came out of my mouth made me nearly spit out the chunk of toast I was failing at attempting to chew. 

"I should have figured. How y'all been though? You look a little different, in a good way." She said reaching over to pinch my cheek and I swatted her hand away. "Love having a little sister." 

"By like a few minutes, don't go blowing it up like you're years older than me. He and I have been great. Life kind of actually feels perfect for the first time." I wasn't sure if I should tell her the news now or wait for CJ to be here too because I'm sure she'd have something to say instantly to him but I really did want to just say now. The excitement that I'm trying to hide I'm sure she sees, at least the smirk on her face says so. I knew what she was gonna ask and I filled my mouth with an entire egg in the spur of the moment to give me a reason to not talk. The yoke dripping out the corners of my mouth, I used the toast to catch the yoke and essentially used it to rub it off my lips. She went into a frenzy of laughter while I'm over here trying to keep my mouth shut so I can chew.