3. That One Thing

What depresses you the most?

There could be an entire list but there must be one thing that just seems to suck the life out of you and leave you asking for a Quit button on life.

It's that one thing that must matter the most to you. That one thing must be the reason you live and feel like existing.

(Side Warning: if your reason for existence is that long list we talked about earlier, something is wrong with you and you need help. Fast.)

The one thing or the lack of it that makes you want to stop life right there, is the one thing you care about so much, you've decided to stay on earth and grace the other earthlings with your presence.

If you know what that one thing is, that's good!

If your enemy knows what that one thing is, that's not very good...

We all have only one enemy.

Argue with me all you like but Christian or not, and whether you act as a follower of the Lord or not, you have only, and I mean only one enemy and that's the devil.

The devil hates you and since you were created by God, your most primal instinct and the feeling that tells you that there's danger ahead will be to hate the devil back.

The devil is the opposite of everything God is and that is why he hates you with a rising passion.

You could go either way.

He could care less if you didn't spend all eternity with him but
he knows that God cares.

The only reason he tries so hard to get in your Spiritual way and cause you to slide is so that he can see God's face in pain, something he would never be able to do otherwise.

This is why, he analyses, good-for-absolutely-nothing as he is, to find out what you value the most.

Whatever has most of your love and affection is what he strives to make sure, you have less of.

Let's look at the one thing most people consciously or unconsciously value the most: This may shock some, but the thing most Christians value the most and can't believe they even have, is their relationship with Christ.

(Again, if this isn't on the top of that list we were talking about, you're doing something extremely wrong... get a manual... Life's not that long and you need to catch up...)

The one thing, I or many other Simon Peters, will never ever ever ever ever give up or want to lose... is their relationship with God. What would terrify them almost to the grave is the thought that God might begin to hate or be angered by them.

This one doubt or feeling would haunt them to the point of losing their drive to live and speaking or making friends. They would lose their passion for work or whatever it is that they need to be studying. They might lose valuable morals that other normal human beings have.

Even in a situation like that, in the very core of their beings, they will know that God is love and Love will never let them go away.

Confusion? Yes.
Depression? Yes.
Inability to think straight? Absolutely.

But what are these people doing?

They are termed the backslidden but they're the ones who make the most sincere prayers.

They are seen as lost and unhappy, but they have most of the confidence that Jesus is theirs and will not fail them.

What is the matter with them and how can they ever become normal again?

What they need, is to return to the very first feeling that they ever had beside Jesus.

If I may, the Bible calls it the First Love.

What they need to return to the First Love is to know that they can't do it alone and to believe that Jesus is willing and able to help them return.

These people are a rather dangerous kind as far as the devil is concerned.

They are possibly the only threats he watches out for.

This is because once they return, they will be back to being so in tune with God's voice and so mesmerised and in love with what He says that they will cause more destruction to his plans of pulling the world to sin than an angel ever could.

Take Simon Peter or Paul for example.

Those guys had him running for shelter every single second.