Candlelight - 17th of May 1851

I never thought I would ever see a phantom. It is said that the spirit moves on to God or get's sent to hell after the anatomy has died- but last night I learned a new truth. After the tiring and tedious day, I went outside into the gardens after writing in my diary, even though it had just struck 9. I shall start from the beginning, as it is said that is as good a place to start as any.

After sneaking out into the gardens with nothing but my candle and coat, I walked around in the dark. The air was cold and crisp, yet I did not mind. In fact, I adored it. Merely two miles away there is a church, and along with a church comes a graveyard for the deceased. It is said that the spirits that roam the earth are untouched by God but even the Devil did not want them. Personally, I never truly believed in such stories until I happened to catch a glimpse of a faint glow across the garden- close to the graveyard sitting on top of a hill nearby.

Curiosity overtaking me, I followed the glow until I looked up at the graveyard. The glow was faint, and the walk was far, but I convinced myself that I must know what the light was, and that if I had turned back home I would never have been able to fall asleep as I would wonder about what the light could have been. So, a sudden rush of courage and intense curiosity guiding me, I went up to the graveyard.

The moon wasn't full but bright enough to help me direct myself, since my candle light was merely a small flame, and by the time I arrived up the graveyard my coat and nightgown were torn and dirty, but instead of festering about those pesky details I continued looking for the glow until I finally found it.

There, by a small mausoleum standing next to grand oak tree, stood a man. As soon as I saw his see-through skin and glowing complexion I stopped my track immediately, catching my breath in my throat as I stood there, just staring. I stared at the man, unable to find the courage to unshackle my feet from their invisible prison and run back to the place I am supposed to call home. But, instead I continued my gaze, but, to my surprise, I felt no fear. I was intrigued and compelled to walk closer, but, before I was able to do so, the man suddenly turned around to reveal himself to me.

I have no patience to test myself with writing down the details of his person, for I had but a moment to notice them before fear overtook me and I ran home. Perhaps it was for the best that I went home as I did. It is said by all great men that spirits are to be feared and avoided, especially when alone. So, dear diary, I regret to inform you of no other news from my night.

I ran to my chamber in a frenzy, not knowing what to do except to write down in my dairy again,  but I was in such a state I could barely drop my pen into the ink. So I went to bed, scared of the phantom haven followed me home.

I'll admit that I am alright now. A part of me wants to persuade me that it was all a silly dream, but I know too well that it wasn't. It couldn't have been.

I must go attend to my studies now, and I'm sure nothing interesting will happen for the rest of the day. It's back to reality, I guess.