Chapter 5

The paramedics wouldn't allow anybody in the ambulance with them and Beca due to the severity of Beca's condition. One paramedic stayed behind to talk with the Bellas who stood in shock of what had just happened.

Chloe still stood in Aubrey's arms, completely unsure of how to feel. She was elated that Beca was still alive, but she wasn't ignorant to how bad a shape Beca was in. Both captains looked up at the same time when the paramedic approached them.

"Am I correct in thinking that you all know Miss Mitchell?" seeing the girls' nods, he continued. "As you might be aware, Miss Mitchell is in a bad way. From what we could gather, she took the majority of the impact of the truck. If I'm honest, it's a miracle that she is even alive now. We are rushing her straight to hospital as we speak, but I hate to tell you not to be hopeful. It is not too uncommon when a patient can be resuscitated at the scene only to pass away later on." Upon seeing the distress that now covered the girls' faces, the paramedic realised his bluntness. "I'm sorry. That came out too blunt. I just want you to understand the severity of the situation." He gave the girls a sad smile and turned and walked away.

The girls watched the paramedic leave. Their hope at seeing Beca alive had been quashed. None of them knew what to do. Even Amy was quiet. Aubrey realised that they needed guidance and that Chloe was in no position to help. She turned to the Bellas.

"Right! Back in the bus. Amy take us back to Barden." Almost immediately, she was met with resistance. She had expected this and held her hands up for quiet. When the Bellas settled down, she continued. "When we get back to Barden, change and pack an overnight bag each. I don't know about you but I'm spending tonight at the hospital."

The blonde's words seemed to relax and inspire the Bellas. They all moved to get back onto the bus when Chloe caught Aubrey's arm. The blonde turned to look at her best-friend.

Chloe couldn't believe that Aubrey was going so far for Beca. She could see in the blonde's eyes how distressed she actually was behind her calm façade. Fresh tears sprang to the redhead's eyes as she grasped Aubrey into a tight hug. "Bree, you are the best-friend that anybody could ever ask for." She pulled away and looked the blonde in the eye. "It wasn't your fault." Those four words brought Aubrey's steely resolve down as tears sprang to her eyes.

Aubrey had known Chloe long enough to know when she liked someone and Chloe's toner for Beca had been present since the activities fair. Therefore, when Chloe spoke those words that had been the centre of the blonde's thoughts, it was like a dam had broken and Aubrey's emotions exploded through. She broke down into body-wracking sobs in the redhead's arms.

Aubrey still felt awful about never having been nicer to the small brunette. Holding her limp body in her arms had been the most horrible thing the blonde had ever done. It would have been one thing to hold some stranger's corpse but to hold the body of someone you knew and secretly liked had broken her slightly. She prayed that Beca would be alright so that she could make amends.

Chloe held Aubrey as she cried. The redhead had never seen the blonde so upset. Not even after the puke-gate. It showed Chloe just how upset Aubrey was and how she had taken it upon herself to be strong one for everybody else. That was Aubrey. Always making the hard decisions.

Once Aubrey had composed herself once more, the two captains got back onto the bus and Fat Amy began the arduously long, silent journey back to Barden.