Chapter 33

Exactly sixty seconds later, Aubrey walked in followed by the rest of the Bellas. Beca had seen most of them since remembering, but seeing them all together again made her happy. She was worried that they would hate her, but she worried for nothing.

Beca had scooted over so that she and Chloe now sat on the bed together. Beca didn't quite feel right without the redhead by her immediate side. Without her, Beca would be nothing. If this is what love is, then she welcomed it with open arms.

When all the girls had piled into Beca's room, Aubrey clapped her hands. Beca looked around at the girls' faces and saw tired, bored expressions. She realised that they all thought that Aubrey was going to tell them that if they did the set perfectly then they would win the ICCAs. Beca was mildly amused by this. However, she was excited to see their reactions when Aubrey was about to tell them that they had come up with something different.

"Right, well, as you all know, the Footnotes were disqualified, allowing us back in the competition." Many of the girls nodded. "But this means that we are going to have to train so much harder." Beca heard Fat Amy mutter a 'noooo' which caused her to giggle quietly. "So this is what I propose. Beca had composed a set list which I approve of." There was a moment of silence, followed by a chorus of 'what?'. All the girls started talking at once and Aubrey looked at Beca to see if she was still up for their trining plan for the day. Beca met her eyes and nodded. Aubrey clapped again, causing the talking in the room to die down. She then looked at each girl in turn before her eyes landed on Beca. "Let's remix this business."

Beca nodded. "Um, Aubrey. Will you pick a song."

Aubrey thought for a second before deciding on "Bruno Mars, Just the Way You Are."

Beca couldn't help her raising her eyebrows. Aubrey? A fan of Bruno Mars? Never in a million years did she think that that would be a thing.

"UM. Ok. Chloe? Are you good to take the lead?" the redhead looked at Beca lovingly for a second before nodding. Beca then began the tune of Just the Way You Are, her clear alto voice rising. Everyone felt emotional for a moment as they all remembered that they had nearly lost this girl. Aubrey recovered first and joined Beca's lead. Soon all the girls were singing, building up the song for Chloe to make her entrance.

"Oh, her eyes, her eyes
Make the stars look like they're not shinin'
Her hair, her hair
Falls perfectly without her trying
She's so beautiful
And I tell her everyday"

Watching Chloe sing this song, a song that Beca was sure was written about her, Beca's heart swelled. She really didn't know how she got so lucky to have this girl not only in her life, but to have feelings for her. Suddenly the perfect song came into her mind as what to mix with Just the Way You Are.

She grabbed Chloe's hand before chiming in

"I was thinking 'bout her, thinkin 'bout me
Thinking 'bout us, what we gon' be
Open my eyes yeah, it was only just a dream, it was only just a dream"

Aubrey then joined Beca whilst Chloe's clear voice stayed strong.

"So I travelled back down that road
Will she come back? No one knows
I realize, yeah, it was only just a dream"

The girls all managed to weave the songs together perfectly, finally becoming in tune with one another, in more ways than one. Before, the choreography had kept them in place, but now they were free to do their own thing, and they all fit together. No one didn't deserve to be in that group. They all had their place.

The song ended and the girls stood there in silence, eyes wide open at what they had just achieved. Stacie was the first to break the silence, squealing and hugging Cynthia-Rose who was beside her. Suddenly, all the girls were laughing and joking and were actually excited at what they could achieve.

Aubrey looked around at them all, smiling. This was the acapella group that she wanted. Finally her eyes came to rest on the small brunette. Chloe was animatedly talking with Ashley and Fat Amy. She didn't see what Aubrey saw. Beca's brow was furrowed and her hand was placed across her chest, as if it pained her. Worry exploded in her chest. She had been so excited about being back in the competition and then Beca's set had made her sort of forget about the brunette's current state. Beca looked up and saw Aubrey's worried eyes upon her and she dropped her hand and eyes, breaking the eye contact.

Since dying that one last time, she hadn't realised how painful it was to sing. To use her chest at all really. Breathing was bearable. But singing was agony. And not being able to sing was even worse.

The door to the room opened and Ann walked in. "Alright girls that was lovely. Really. But I'm afraid Beca needs some rest now." Beca stared at Ann in silent gratitude. She didn't know that the nurse had been watching and had seen Beca's reaction to singing. Beca wasn't oblivious to the realisation dawning on her friends' faces. It seemed like Aubrey wasn't the only one who had forgotten her state.

The girls all said their goodbyes excitedly and left, leaving Chloe, Beca and Ann in the room. "I'm afraid that means you too Chloe. I need to check over Beca and you could do with a rest. Go catch up with your friends." She smiled at Chloe who looked worriedly at Beca. She was about to ask why Beca needed checking over but the small brunette grabbed her hand.

"It's fine, Chlo. Routine stuff. Plus I'm tired. Long day." She smirked at Chloe who understood that their previous excursions might have tired her out. Chloe blushed before kissing the small brunette goodbye and leaving to catch up with the other Bellas.

"It gets better."

Beca looked up and knew that Ann was referring to her pain.

"When?"

"It takes time. You know that, Beca. After an accident as serious as yours, only time can now heal what's left of your wounds."

"They can't know."

"I think that blonde already knows."

Beca sighed. "Is there any way I can double rehab or something?"

Ann hesitated. "I'm not sure. I can get the doctor to come and talk to you. You shouldn't push it too much though. I know you're desperate, but you don't want any relapse."

Beca froze. "I can relapse?"

"Anyone can relapse."

"But I was getting better-"

"Anyone can relapse if they don't treat themselves correctly. Now enough of this talk. I meant it when I said that you need to rest."

Beca was silent. She couldn't relapse. Not after everything. As she closed her eyes, she thought about the road ahead of her. It was a long painful one, but with her friends by her side and a goal at the end, who knew what she could achieve?