twenty-four

chapter 24

"Mom!" I call out, tossing another piece of clothing across the room. "Have you seen my shorts?"

"Your gym shorts?" She calls back, faintly but loud and clear from downstairs.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, because that's gonna get me laid," I say to myself.

"What?" She calls out again.

"No, mom. My denim shorts with the shreds," I reply. Shuffling and throwing everything around my room. My once clean room. Now hardly having a floor since it was covered in my piles of clothes yet here I am, screaming, I have nothing to wear!

"Reagan Reed Diaz, I told you to throw those shorts out a long time ago!" She shouts out to me.

I make a face to myself in annoyance. Leave it to my mom to call me out by my entire name just to get her point across. "They- They're just- UGH, they're not the same ones you hate! They're newer ones!"

Lie. Absolute lie.

"I sure as hell hope they are!" Her accent thick but when she's pissed, she gives no fucks as I hear her muttering in Spanish.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I say lowly to myself as my throwing around continues.

Eventually I find my shorts but then I also find my favorite plain jeans I had left behind on the trip because I couldn't find them. I decide between them, suddenly feeling more frustration.

But my luck has turned when I receive the call I didn't know I needed.

"Kae, I am so glad you called. I am having the ultimate dilemma as we speak," I whine.

"Ah, I sensed you had trouble. Hence my urge to call," She laughs. "What's the problem?"

"Outfit choice," I pout, knowing full well she can't see me, but she gets it.

"Do you have your options?"

"Well I'm definitely wearing my black cropped tank top with my red flannel thrown over. For shoes, probably my classic black vans. It's just bottoms," I tell her.

"What are you thinking?" She asks.

"I can't decide between my shredded denim shorts or my favorite plain jeans."

She hums, "Which jeans are those?"

"My good ones I try not to wear out but fail miserably. They make my ass look fantastic," I say dramatically.

"I think you just answered your question. Besides, it's gonna get chilly tonight so you're better off," She informs and I nod.

"Thanks loads," I reply as I throw my outfit onto my desk chair and begin to fold away at the mess already eating away at my growing OCD urge. "Do you know what you're wearing?"

"Honestly just gonna throw on a pair of leggings, white tank, blue denim button up and toms probably. I dunno, it's my go-to as of right now," She replies dryly.

Things have been a little off between the two of us. Given the way we left things off when the trip was nearing its end, specifically the day we were out zorbing, Mikaela and I haven't been on speaking terms. At least not the way we usually are.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely wanna talk it out but that would lead to the subject that always leads to us going back and forth about and it's clear she's trying to avoid that topic at all costs, for some unknown reason. Even though she's technically the one that always seems to bring it up.

"And hair ideas?"

"Loose, as always," She replies once again like nothing. "Not like I can do much with my thin hair, anyway."

"Can't recall the last time I saw it picked up," I try to joke but fail. "Okay well, I'm gonna finish cleaning up the mess I made before my mom throws the second tantrum of the day."

"Only second? That's a new record," She snorts.

"You're telling me," I mutter before bidding her goodbye and hanging up before she can reply. The call was just flat out awkward silence and less than 5 minutes. Now that's a record.

I throw on the outfit I had planned and make my way downstairs stopping in the kitchen to spot my mom wiping down the already spotless stove.

"Ma, black vans or black toms?"

"Black what and what?" She asks quizzically as she turns to me.

I throw my head back in frustration and groan. "The black sneakers with the white lines or the black slip-ons?"

"Which ones are more comfortable?" She asks, returning her attention to the stove.

"Both are but I'm asking which ones look good with this outfit," I tell her as she finally gets a good look at my outfit.

She's quiet for a minute before narrowing her eyes at me. "You better not be hiding those damn shorts in a bag or something."

"Ugh, I'm not gonna wear shorts, it's gonna be cold tonight, anyway. Shoes, please," I whine, bouncing on the heels of my feet like a child to which makes her roll her eyes.

"The sneakers, Reagan," She sighs.

"Thank you!" I call out as I'm already making my way back upstairs.

I make it back to my room just in time to find it vibrating and I pick up when I see the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hey, what are you doing?" Harry asks, his voice unusually chipper.

"Getting ready for the bonfire," I laugh awkwardly in response. "Yourself?"

"You're going to that?" He asks, ignoring my question completely.

"I am. You're not?" His response is immediate when I hear him mutter hell no. "Wow, really? Shocker. Wouldn't that damage your social status?"

"I think I've already made my mark a long time ago, thank you very much," He laughs and I shake my head, "But if you're going..." He trails off and my eyes wander off, awaiting his response. "I guess it won't be as dull."

"So... you're going?" I ask.

"If you want me to," He says awkwardly.

"I mean, I kinda already thought you were so the choice is technically yours," I laugh in response.

"All right, then," He says, shuffling noises begin in the background, "I guess I'll get ready, then. Meet me there?"

"Sure, Harry," I smile to myself, his awkward attempt at making plans with me was, dare I say it, cute. "I'll see you there."

+

filler chapter... noooo big deal. 👀

also, I figured since the book is bound to end we were also bound to meet ray's parents. at least one of them. the family will not be as involved strictly bc it'll only call for an extension & that is not in my agenda for this story.

they will have roles in this book but very small ones, so don't expect much. this is nothing like the bbf saga.

hope it was good tho all in all & that you enjoyed it. love u allllllll

- ky xxxxxxxx