Chapter 15~Brownies and Soda

"Oof!" You grunted as soon as you hit the ground, groaning at the pain. Landing on ice-covered concrete did not feel good.

"Mikasa!" Eren scolded shooting her a glare.

"Oh, sorry. Habit of mine," Mikasa said, her tone indicating that she was in no way sorry.

Once you recovered, you growled. "Why you-!" You were just about to lunge after the woman when you felt arms around you.

"Control yourself, (y/n)," Eren said soothingly. "Mikasa, this is... a friend of mine." He blushed slightly. Those last three words of the sentence made you cringe, but you tried to ignore it no matter how much it irked you.

"A friend, hmm?" Mikasa looked at you. "Then allow me to properly introduce myself." She held out a hand toward you. "My name is Mikasa Ackerman, I'm sure Eren has told you already, but I'm his sister. Don't make any sudden moves, and all will be alright."

With Eren's arms still wrapped around your waist, you slowly began to catch your breath. The impact from the kick still hurt thiugh. You looked at the hand being held out toward you and hesitated after Mikasa finished her introduction. But after a moment, you slowly took her hand and shook it.

"(Y/n)," was all you said.

"Nice name," she actually gave you a faint smile. "Now, come on in. I've got brownies, fresh from the oven."

"Brownies, huh?" Eren's mouth began to water.

Mikasa narrowed her eyes. "You get to work on your errand!"

"Can't I at least have a brownie first? I said I was sorry, didn't I?"

"No you may not."

Eren sighed. "Fine then. What do I have to do?"

With that, Mikasa smirked and beckoned you two to come inside. Once you did, she pointed towards a door at the other side of the house. "I want you to go out there and clean out my garage. Once that's done, shovel out my driveway. If it's still light by the time you're done, then..." She paused for a moment. "Arrange my bookshelf in alphabetical order."

Eren opened his mouth to say something, as if to protest but then he submitted, sighing and hanging his head. "Okay... I suppose I do deserve this... even if it's labor." He grabbed a broom from the kitchen and dragged his feet as he made his way toward the door.

Once Eren left the room, you turned to Mikasa, no longer angry at her previous assault which was strange. In face, you actually began to admire her menacing personality. "Are you sure that's not too harsh? I mean, that's a lot."

Mikasa waved it off and shook her head. "Once you know what he did, you think that the tasks I assigned to him aren't enough."

"Well, what did he do?" You asked curiously.

"Let's... not get into that right now."

"This is one secretive little family," you thought.

"But anyway, would you like a soda?" Mikasa offered, changing the subject.

"Sure," you said with a smile. Despite the freezing temperatures outside, an ice cold soda sounded appealing at the moment. Why was that?

The world may never know.

After Mikasa handed you a pop from the fridge, you took a brownie from the baking pan sitting on the stove and took a bite, your taste buds exploding with chocolate bliss.

"Woah, did you make this from scratch!?"

Mikasa looked at you confused. But then her mouth twitched as if she was trying to stifle a laugh but failed and let out a chuckle. "You wish! That's just a brownie mix. See?" She held up the empty box.

"Oh..." you said, embarrassed while chewing on a brownie. "Well, they're pretty good anyway."

Mikasa smiled a little. "Thanks. It's a miracle I didn't burn them again. See... baking is not exactly my strength."

"Really? Well, if you want, I can give you some lessons." You smiled sheepishly. "I had a lot of spare time growing up." You thought back to the days your uncle taught you to bake. It all began with an Easy Bake Oven.

"I'd like that very much," Mikasa said. "You know, this is strange..."

"What is?"

"I don't know. There's just something about you that's different, as if I can trust you. That never happens."

"Considering how the first thing you did was kick me when you saw me, I totally believe that..." you mumbled.

"Yeah... sorry about that..."

You laughed and waved off the apology. "Don't worry about it. Before I moved down here, I was always ready to kick someone's ass. But I do admit, I envy your kicking skills."

Mikasa shrugged. "It was worth being in military school after all, then."

"Yeah... Eren did mention you both went to military school..."

"So what's going on between you and my brother, anyway?" Mikasa asked.

"Huh?" Once her words registered in your head, you blushed and stumbled over your words. "W-well... that depends on what you mean by that."

Mikasa smirked cooly, as if she knew judging by the look on your face. "What I mean is that you're more than just friends, am I right?"

"I-I..."

"Well I can't say that I blame you, (y/n). He is one hell of a cutie, isn't he?" Mikasa said casually.

"Hold up!" You said. "Isn't he supposed to be your brother!? What kind of girl talks about their brother like that!? Go back to abusing him like you just now did!" You flailed your arms, making wild motions.

Your pandemonic reaction made Mikasa guffaw.

"What are you laughing at!?" You demanded.  "Are you insane or something!? Answer me!"

"You make me laugh, (y/n). But in case you weren't aware, Eren is actually my ADOPTIVE brother. We were friends prior."

"Oh..."

"Of course..." You remembered now. Earlier Mikasa mentioned that her last name was Ackerman, different from Eren's.

"But Levi has the same name as Mikasa... are they related?"

You decided to save that subject for later.

"Back to the topic at hand... are you and Eren having a romantic relationship?" Mikasa asked. But you weren't listening although the answer was you weren't sure. In the corner of your eye, you spotted something.

Something familiar within the shelves in the living room.

You padded over to it and picked it up, ignoring Mikasa's pulling.

"Hang on, (y/n), you don't want to do that. Really." Mikasa laughed nervously. "How about some more brownies? That sounds good, right?"

But it was too late. You already knew what it was. Looking Mikasa right in the eye, you spoke slowly in a very serious tone.

"Mikasa... are you an otaku, too?"