Chapter 19~An Unforgivable Move

It was as if everything had frozen in time. Mikasa laid there completely motionless. Her eyes widened, full of sadness, rage, and disbelief. Hunter's grin never left his face. However, it was instantly wiped off when Mikasa had built up enough adrenaline to jump away from the grasp. She punched Hunter in the jaw, knocking him forward onto his back. The other boys were trying to get onto her as well, but like a skilled warrior, she kicked and used all sorts of combo attacks, so fast you couldn't see. You watched in amazement. Before you knew it, every single one of those goons were on the floor, barely conscious.

"It's a good thing wallets are replaceable, right?" You said jokingly.

Mikasa shot you a glare, narrowing her eyes to slits. Without speaking a word, she began to walk away.

"Hey! Was it something I said?" You said as you chased after her, accidentally stepping on Hunter's chest. He groaned in pain but you didn't care. "I'll buy you another wallet! You better call the bank to cancel your cards!"

---------------------------------------------------------"It... it WHAT!?"

Hours had passed and now Eren had just gotten off work. Mikasa told him what happened to the wallet.

"Eren, we got attacked. Hunter-"

Eren slammed the table with both of his fists, rage in his eyes. "I don't give a damn WHAT happened!? Couldn't you have lunged after it!?"

Eren cares about the wallet than his own sister getting attacked. Damn what a douche... you actually began to question him.

"Seriously... how irresponsible could you be!? I trusted you!" He bowed his head and shut his eyes tight.

"You know what... just go..." Eren said in a tired yet furious voice.

"But Eren..." Mikasa's lip quivered and her eyes got wet. You knew she was on the verge of crying, which was strange when comparing her personality.

"GO!" Eren repeated. The decibel of his tone nearly knocked you off your seat. You watched as Mikasa walked out, shutting the door behind her. Things then got silent in Eren's home. It felt almost hollow. That was until you slugged Eren right in the jaw, nearly knocking him over. A mark covered the side of his face.

"Seriously, what the hell was that all about!? Don't you realize it's just a stupid wallet? What's wrong with you, Eren!?"

"I don't give a damn about the wallet. It's what's inside. And since you seem to committed to be on Mikasa's side, why don't you leave too?"

Taken aback from Eren's sudden comment, you stared at him for a moment, speechless and feeling a sense of betrayal. However, it sort of made sense from how he treated his sister just now.

"You know... I will. Have a good night." Without another word, you headed out. But then came back a second time just to slam the door before taking your leave.
---------------------------------------------------------
Before you headed over, you texted Mikasa letting her know that you were going over to her home. Although hesitant at first, she then accepted and said that she would have tea ready.

"Mikasa... what was in that wallet that was so special?" You asked sitting across from her at the table. "I mean...judging by Eren's reaction..."

"I don't blame him for acting in such a way," Mikasa said stirring her tea. "He has every right too. Why..." She scoffed. "Someone like you would never understand."

"Try me," you said, looking her in the eye. You sighed. "Mikasa... I met Eren a few months ago... and I've only known you for a few days now. And I can tell there are a lot of things I don't know or understand about you two. Even if you don't tell me everything, can you at least tell me about what was in that wallet?"

Silence occured between you and Mikasa for a few moments, the only sound being the clanking of Mikasa's spoon as she stirred. She sighed and stared down at the cup. "Fine..." she said. "I suppose it would be fair to at least tell you the general idea of today's incident..." Mikasa took a moment to gather her thoughts. "First off... are you aware of Eren's past?"

"Sort of... I remember him briefly describing it on our first date..."

"What did he tell you exactly?" Mikasa asked.

"Well, he said that his father left... and soon after, his mother died a horrific death. Soon after, you were both sent away to some military academy. But what about your parents, Mikasa?"

"We can get to that later. Let's just answer your original question first. But yes, you are correct."

"Does this have anything to do with the wallet?" You asked.

"No. Not the wallet itself anyway. But the thing is, Eren's mom died saving him. The man who killed her was mentally ill. He was a serial killer and it just so happened he stopped by our home. Eren's mom wanted to distract the man so that we could get away. Eren actually despised me for a while... he wanted to go back and save his mother but I didn't let him. I just didn't want him to get hurt, you see.

"We hid away in the trees, waiting for the man to leave. We went back in, and soon realized there was smoke. We then realized that he had actually set the whole place on fire. The flames were spreading rapidly... before we ran out, Eren managed to grab a picture. It was of his mother. It's the last thing she has of her."

"And... that was in the wallet..."

"Correct." Mikasa gave you a sad smile. "I held it for him, but now it's gone..."

"That bastard..." you mumbled. You gulped down the rest of your tea. It was still boiling hot but you were so angry you didn't care. "Oh man, look at the time. Well, I got to get going. Thanks for the tea." With that, you headed out and drove off. The truth is you had plenty of time to spare, but you had a job to do.