Chapter Eighteen- Feed The Machine

It was on the third day that Sulpicia could feel the burning sensation had lessened, that breathing felt heavier and unneeded. That the sounds around her seemed as though they were right in front of her. 

  Scents assaulted her nose from within the barn, she could smell each individual strand of hay and then smell the pieces of dirt that had been tracked in through the doors. The durt held scents of the forest, of homes, of the person themselves.

  Her heartrate was slowing, she could feel it but she was not afraid. She dared to open her eyes, peeking as she bit her lips together, somehow afraid of how she might see now. Cracks of sunlight were coming in through the roof of the barn, hitting across from her. Her eyes opened wider as she saw each and every individual dust partical that the sun beams would hit.

  It simply amazed her. It was one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen, how they seemed to sparkle as they floated freely through the air. She blinked slowly, not wanting to miss a thing but seeing small insects fly ahead of her, almost on the other side of the barn. She could see the detail in their wings, the color that was all over their bodies. 

  She watched as the sun disappeared, no doubt a cloud making it hide from her. She closed her eyes, she felt no temperature like she had before, but the burning sensation was racing ever so slowly towards her heart, making her shake. 

  She heard walking coming towards the barn, wondering if Aro would take her away before the change happened onto her, so that no one would see her this way. But yet, Aro did not come. 

  She began to feel concerned, but something would not let her worry too much. There was a small feeling inside of her that everything would be okay. She remembered hearing Benedetto the two nights prior and a sound escaped from her lips. It wasn't a scream, curse, or yell, it was a hiss.

  It surprised her for she had never made such a sound in her life!

  She allowed herself to make the sound again, only to quickly quiet herself and bite her lips together. Her whole body tensed as a scent started to assault her, engulfing her sense of smell and clouding her mind in a disgusted fog. 

  The scent was musky, almost a death-like scent but among a living person. It involved a sickening sweet smell underneath the musk, making Sulpicia feel as though she could vomit.

  The barn doors opened as Benedetto walked into the barn with two men following him. He motioned towards Sulpicia with his hands, noticing the uneaten fruit next to her which he had delivered to her the night before. He scowled at it and simply left, going to the gallows that had been placed in the center of town.

  Sulpicia felt dizzy the more she smelled Benedetto's scent, a sickening pit forming in her stomach but all too soon, it left her. She shook her head, her eyes staying closed as two new scents hit her, making the nasty smell leave her nose and giving her brain clarity on her situation. 

  The two new scents were almost alike, both obviously family then. She dared not to open her eyes as they pulled the roped off of her and pulled her forward almost gentle-like. They attached new ropes to her, their honey and vanilla scents encasing her, making her feel warm. She forced her feet to move, letting them lead her outside. 

  Sulpicia could feel a panic suddenly hitting her. She quickly held her breath to calm herself only to realize how much it helped her not feel overwhelmed by what she was smelling. She kept her eyes closed but could hear the murmers from people, she felt herself being led until she had to step up.

  The gallows...

  She felt her body shake as she was led to stand, her body wanting to fall as a sharp burning sensation hit her chest, causing her to gasp out loud. She heard a chuckle, Benedetto's chuckle.