Lycan Pass - Chapter 5

I heard the chime of a bell and my eyes flew open. The cool air of the room washed away the last bits of my grogginess and awoke my senses. A bluish light filled the room. It must still be early in the morning. I slipped out of the bed I had slept in to find that someone had swapped my bloody clothes for new ones. They fit my body in a comfortable manner and smelled like soap. I wonder who changed my clothes. My thoughts traveled to Trevor and my face burned.

       I wandered over to the mirror and wash basin. My pallid skin still glowed a faint pink. Most of my cuts had healed. The one particularly nasty cut on my forehead was now a slim line. However, grime still lingered everywhere visible. I cupped my hands and brought the cold water to my face. It was so cold that my fingers and jaw ached from it's touch, but it sent delicious shivers down my spine. After only a moments hesitation, I plunged my face into the icy water. I opened my mouth and pulled in mouthful after mouthful, sucking them down like I had never tasted water before. At that moment, I heard the door creak open.

       "What are you doing?" I heard Trevor's clearly masculine voice ask. I pulled my head up, water spraying everywhere. His face was contorted somewhere between humor and disbelief. My heart hammered as I gaped at him for a moment.

       "I was thirsty," I explained weakly. He stared at me, then slowly lifted his hand to point to the pitcher of water sitting on the nightstand next to my bed. I could feel the blush raging in my cheeks. He must think I'm a total moron. He just shook his head and signaled for me to follow him.

       I had to jog to catch up with him as he was already walking briskly away. The hallway was drafty and completely void of color. It didn't help that there was no one else in the hallway; no people, no supplies, nothing. Two turns later, we stopped in front of a plain white door. Trevor opened up the door and a blast of warm air swirled past me. It smelled spicy, like ginger and cinnamon, and a soft glow emanated from through the doorway. Trevor stepped in and looked back at me.

       "Coming?" he asked gruffly. I quickly stepped in behind him and took in my surroundings. A clean, but warm and welcoming room. "Stay here," he said as I stepped pass the entryway. He wandered over to the bathroom and returned with a white hand towel. He tossed it to me.

       "Dry your face." I had hardly noticed my chin dripping water until he mentioned it. I hastily wiped my face.

       "So, um... Is this your room?" I asked lamely. He nodded and stood there, staring.

       "It's nice, very comfortable." I hoped to prod an answer from him, but he remained silent, his eyes trained on me. I shifted uncomfortably. When I was done with the towel, I lobbed it to him, and he tossed it carelessly onto his bed. He pushed me out of the room with his presence rather than with force.

       "I'll be taking you to John, he'll show you around," he said.

       I trailed after him as he led me to John's office. He knocked abruptly on the door and John answered quickly. He opened the door and invited us in. When we were settled, he spoke.

       "I'll assume you slept well. Trevor was trained well."

       "Trained in what?" I asked.

       "Hypnosis," Trevor rumbled at my side. I stared incredulously.

       "Hypnosis?" I could hear the doubt coloring my voice. Trevor scowled at me, but then turned his attention away from me, clearly not up to debating with me. John looked up from his papers and sighed in defeat.

       "You two play nice," he warned us. He switched back to the matter at hand. "So are you excited for your tour of the town?" At the thought of getting out of this impeccably sterile building and into the fresh air made my legs twitch. John must have noticed, because he smiled. "Trevor, escort her to the front desk, I'll meet you there in a minute."

       We stood and left the comfortable office. Trevor seemed to be walking even faster then usual, and I had to jog to keep up with his long strides. I finally caught on that he couldn't wait to be rid of me. I'm sure he saw me grimace, because I saw him smirk in turn before slowing down a bit.

       When we got to the desk, Trevor stopped and stared down each of the corridors in turn, tapping his foot impatiently. I flopped down in a large chair and looked anywhere but at him. I felt an irrational animosity swelling and bleeding out within me. Why is he so frustrating? Bouncing my knee and chewing on the inside of my cheek until I tasted blood, I couldn't wait until John got here.

       Finally I heard hid soft footfalls coming down the hallway we had come from. He smiled and patted Trevor's shoulder. He seemed to take this as a sign that he was relieved of his duties and started to walk off. But John grabbed his shoulder he had just patted.

       "Not so fast, Trevor. I'd like you to come along with us,"

       "Why?" I said before I knew it. That earned me a burning glare from Trevor before he turned to John, expecting a response.

       "Because it's better for you than sitting around and sulking," John said sternly. Trevor looked longingly down the hallway, then spun around and stormed out of the front door.

       "You might want to be a bit more careful with your word choice in the future. But don't mind him, he doesn't care for strangers. Let's go, shall we?" He offered up the crook of his arm which I wound mine around. He guided me out of the building. I came face to face with a scowling Trevor.

       "Let's just get this over with," he said, and took off ahead of us. I looked at John who simply shrugged his shoulders. I wouldn't be making friends with Trevor anytime soon.