Lycan Pass - Chapter 17

Sorry it's taken me forever to upload again. I don't know why, but the writing spirit just seemed to fly right out of me. Oops! Just a small warning, this isn't my best chapter. I'll probably do some major editing later!

~~~~

      I had long since abandoned the study, favoring lunch over my dusty palace. I would most likely come back to it in the night time hours after I fetched some cleaning supplies. But for now, the smell of chicken soup and turkey sandwiches called my name.

      I was late to lunch once again, so there was hardly any line. I quickly grabbed a tray and wandered around to find a place to sit. John and Mella waived me over to their table. As I approached, I noticed Mella's tummy was even larger than when I had first met her. Immediately scolding myself for taking note of someone's weight, smiled at Mella and sat down beside John. Beside Mella was a man with golden hair and a warm smile. He held her hand tenderly, like it was a fragile thing to be protected.

      "Diane, you're back! How was it?" John asked.
      "It was... great. Yup, lots of fun," I said, trying to make myself enthusiastic. Instead, I found a cold pit in the bottom of my stomach. John looked at me suspiciously.
      "That's nice. Well, Diane, you've already met my sister-"
      "Wait a second, Mella's your sister?!" He chuckled.
      "Hard to believe, isn't it? She took after our father. And this," he gestured to the man holding Mella's hand, "is Mella's husband, Tim." Tim reached across the table and shook my hand.
      "Pleasure to meet you, Diane."
      "Nice to meet you too." Mella squirmed a little.
      "Sorry, the baby's kicking again." My heart stopped before kicking into a flutter.
      "How many months are you?" I asked.
      "I'm due any day now!" My stomach plummeted.
      "Oh," I said in a thick voice. "How nice." The smell of my food only seemed to make me nauseous. I pushed it away lightly. So, this is the Seer's curse? Knowing that which causes grief? Should I tell John? He would want to know, but something tells me he'd let Tim know as soon as he could. No, I had to keep this to myself. Scowling inwardly, I finally realized that this must be Granny's way of testing me. I looked at Mella, who stared lovingly down at her stomach. This was just too cruel. How could something so bad happen to such nice people? John and Tim would be devastated, the child would grow up without a mother. There must be some way to help, right?

      "Hey Mella, I have a favor to ask."
      "Yes, what is it, Honey?"
      "Could you have someone come and get me when you go into labor?" Her face lit up brilliantly.
      "Of course! However, you'll likely be stuck outside of the room. They only let the family members in."
      "That's fine. Thank you!"

      Though my appetite had long departed, I pulled my food to me and ate with gusto, though my churning stomach protested; I didn't want them to notice anything unusual about my behavior. Their idle chatter continued on through the meal, and likely after, but I left as soon as I was done eating, my heart sinking with sadness. Deciding that, after a hike through the forest and a "fall" into the pond, I was definitely in need of a shower. I grabbed a towel from a nearby closet and made my way to the shower room. I cranked the water on high and prayed I didn't pass out again.

      The hot water poured down my shoulders and back, and I just stood there for a while before breaking down into sobs. Why?! Why would nature take away such a kind, caring person? She's so young! How is that anywhere near fair? Leaning against the wall, I bit my lip as I felt my gorge rise. I couldn't let this happen to her. I needed to stay strong for Mella, find a way to save her. First I'd need help. As I stepped out of the still-running shower, a gust of chilly air hit me. Actually, I should probably finish my shower first.

      I was there for hardly five minutes before I dried off and bolted down to the infirmary. Giving the nurse the sweetest voice I had, I politely asked who the maternity doctor was and where I could find him. His name was Dr.Geraurd Coleman, and he was currently taking his lunch break in the coffee room. I thanked her before taking off down the hallway again. Dr.Coleman was sitting at a round table, collecting his things, like he was just about to leave. Something about him seemed very... familiar.

      "Dr.Coleman! Wait!" I yelled, earning me a few odd stared. "Wait, please! I have something that I need to speak to you about." He slowed down and looked up at me, his eyes widening with recognition.

      "Ahh, yes. I remember you. You're the girl Trevor found in the bus wreck, right?" Startling images from my dream flashed back to me: a large creature pulling me out of the wreckage, Trevor begging John for help, a bear... a bear. There was something I wasn't remembering... "If she lives, I'll serve her til the day she dies."

      "Excuse me, ma'am?" Dr.Coleman had a hand on my shoulder and was giving me a worried look. I shook myself awake.
      "Oh-um, yes sir. That's me."
      "What can I do for you?" I pulled him aside to a more private area of the room.
      "I have something very important for you to do, but you must keep quiet about it." He stared at me like I was crazy.
      "Look, I don't have time for this right now. Maybe we can do this later." He turned and started to walk away from me.
      "No, wait! Please! I'm the Seer's apprentice! I need your help!" He stopped, then turned to face me.
      "What do you want?" His eyes spoke volumes of fear and sadness. I didn't have times to stop and ask why.
      "Any day now, Mella will have her baby. When that happens, you need to be prepare for complications."
      "Like what?" he ask skeptically. Just then, a panicking nurse, face red with exertion, ran up to us and grabbed the doctor by the sleeve.
      "Doctor, you have to hurry!"
      "What's going on?!"
      "Mella's having her baby!"

~~~

So I have a question for you dedicated readers. Should I enter this is the Watty Awards? What do you think is going to happen next? Leave your interesting comments, critiques and suggestions down below!

- Yours Truly,

BittySpyder