Lycan Pass - Chapter 6

Edgewood was simply beautiful. It was a small town. But had everything a secret village for mutations could need without communications to the outside world. Resentful? You bet I was. Everywhere around me was forest, forest and, you guessed it, FOREST. Trevor caught my panicked look.

       "We've never had a soul escape in all the years we've lived here," he said with a smirk. "Not that you'd be trying to leave us, right?" He turned away from me without waiting for a response. I was angry at myself for being so readable, but even more so that it was Trevor that had caught me. John patted my arm as if to calm me down.

       John pointed out important buildings such as the town hall, the post office, the herbalist shop (since they rarely get modern medicine in this neck of the woods), and a general goods store. People were out-and-about, the streets bustling with life. The scent of coffee wafted out of a little shop called Mella's Mochas. I caught John's eye and he gave me a knowing nod.

       "Trevor, hold up. I think we should introduce her to Mella." Trevor frowned.
       "You just want coffee, John."
       "Your point?" John grinned. He led me into the warm little shop filled with huge comfy chairs and round tables. A plump lady with golden ringlets of hair circling her face stood behind the counter, waving us in with a smile.

       "John! I see you're back again, and with friends in tow! I trust you'll be expecting the usual?" John smiled fondly at her.
       "You know me so well, Mella. Speaking of knowing, I'd like to introduce you to our newest member." Mella's gaze shifted over to me. Her smile was friendly enough, but I could sense a pitying air about her.
       "My, my! How pretty! Have you chosen a name yet?" I stared at John quizzically before looking back at her.
       "What do you mean?"
       "Dear, you didn't know? When you first change, you get to choose your name."
       "Really?" The prospect excited me. I'd never been in love with my name, per say.
       "Of course! It's been a tradition since the founding of this town! Just be careful with your choice, because it's final. As soon as it rolls off your lips, it's set in stone."
       "Tell me about it," said John. "Tribble Darkstorm is still living at the Facility." I sniggered.
       "Tribble?"
       "I wouldn't laugh if I were you, the guy's massive," Trevor rumbled.
       "Why would he pick a name like that?"
       "He lost a bet."
       "That must have been a pretty big bet..." That was the extent of Trevor's vocalism and I received no response. My attention swiveled back to John.
       "Do I really get to name myself?" John shuffled over and sunk into a comfy chair, visibly trying to relax. He rubbed his face.
       "You can if you want to."
       "What do you mean by that?"
       "You can name yourself, keep your parent-given name, or you can trust your name to the Seer."
       "What's a Seer?"
       "Not what, who." I was tired of John being so vague and acting like I was pulling teeth, but I kept my temper out of my voice.
       "Who is the Seer, and what do they do?" I felt a wave of resentment and fear roll off of him.
       "Marilynn Everwaters, the old hag of the village."
       "John! Mind your manners!" Mella squeeked. "You never know who's listening!" She looked around, trying to spot anyone who might have overheard, relaxing only when she was sure there was no one else.
       "Let them tell her! She knows I don't approve of her or her methods."
       "Would someone please tell me what a Seer is!" I finally snapped. "I'm tired of not knowing anything, I'm tired of this town! I want to go home! I want to see my family and friends!" I collapsed next to the chair John was sitting in and gripped the arm for support. The pent up fear, frustration, and loneliness ripped through me and tears spilled down my face. "I want my life back..." John placed his hands on mine and rubbed comforting circles with his thumb.

       "I'll make some tea," said Mella.

       To my surprise, Trevor walked over stiffly and squatted down next to me. He placed an awkward hand on my back and massaged it consolingly. I turned my face to him. His eyes met mine. There was a great sadness in them, not just for me, but a lot of his own mingled with it as well. I slid one of my hands out from under my cheek and gripped his free one. I gave him a small smile of gratitude and he nodded in acknowledgment. I stood up and wiped the tears away.

       "Sorry," I say weakly with a limp smile.
       "Don't worry about it, Hun. It's a lot to take in at once, no one blames you." Mella returned with to-go cups of hot tea. I took the drink and thanked her. I sipped it, it's warmth pooling in my stomach and spreading throughout my body. John stood, stretched, and pecked Mella on the cheek.

       "Well, I'd say that Diane has has enough of the town for one day. I think we'll be heading back to the Facility now. Thank you for the tea." John gripped my should and led me out of the shop. "Let's get you some rest, you look like you need it. Coming, Trevor?" Trevor stepped out sullenly.

       The walk back didn't take long. Thoughts of everything I had lost swirled around my brain until I felt like the most pitiful person alive. John never let go of my arm, and for the entire trip, Trevor followed behind us, trapped in his own thoughts as well. When we were back, I threw myself down onto my bed and buried my face in the pillow. Sleep came quickly.