Lycan Pass - Chapter 15

Oh, golly guys! I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in such a long time. I was suffering from a lack of will power. Thanks for being patient though!

I have a surprise for you! I have a picture of Diane's locket. Here's the link for it!

http://unmaskeddoubt.deviantart.com/art/Diane-s-Locket-292709349

Thank you, IyannaLeShaun for getting me back on track!

__________________________________________________________________________

      I gently pushed Marilynn's door open and peered inside. From the rumble of yelling coming from the living room, I could tell that John was still here. Trevor nudged me through the entryway and into the dark lit room. The voices only seemed to get louder.

      "You knew I wanted her as my apprentice, John! She won't survive two minutes as a warrior!" the crone croaked angrily.

      "I never said that she was going to be a warrior, only that she would be Trevor's partner! Quit twisting things!" John yelled back. I cleared my throat loudly.

      "Perhaps I should come back at a better time?" They both stopped to stare at us.

      "Heavens, child! Why are you both wet?" Marilynn asked. Trevor and I looked at each other. He simply shrugged and gave me an, 'I-don't-know-why-don't-you-tell-them' look.

      "Uhh," I grasped for words. "We went... swimming?" John looked incredulous.

      "At a time like this?!" Now it was my turn to shrug my shoulders, clueless. John gave an exasperated sigh, and looked as though he were going to rip his hair out. Before he could yell at us, I interrupted him.

      "John, I'm sorry. I was wrong. I'm ready to accept whatever comes my way, including being Trevor's partner, if that is your wish." His eyes widened in visible shock, mouth agape, as if preparing himself to combat my protests. He must have fully registered what I said, because he forced himself to relax and placed a cool smile on his face.

      "Thank you, Diane. That was a very mature decision for you to make. Unfortunately," his eyes slid over to Marilynn, "our business here isn't finished." The crone grinned a gaping smile, as if she might swallow us whole. Why did I trust her? All signs warding me away were ignored as I sat down beside her. Her musty scent breathed over my skin, as comforting as a familiar blanket that had been stored in the closet for too long.

      "Now child, I have a proposal for you." My palms began to tingle with unprovoked excitement. "I can sense a uniqueness about you, an inner glow that most people don't have. My dear child, I think that there was a reason your life was spared, and that you were brought here." She stared at the candle light without really seeing it. "This old lady won't last very long. I've outlived all of my friends and family. I've been here so long that I've watched little saplings grow into the mighty pines protecting this town. It's about time that I took on an apprentice, and I think that that's supposed to be you."

      My nerves were alight, my blood rushing hot through my veins. I felt slightly dizzy and my chest was tight. What was happening? The sensations flooding me seemed to radiate from one point- a startlingly warm spot sitting over my heart. I looked down at my necklace. The locket glowed with a warm white-gold light. I glanced at the others in the room. John and Trevor were looking at me intently, apparently not noticing the glowing trinket around my neck; however, when I looked over at Marilynn, she quickly turned her head. Her mouth quirked into a slight downfall. She had noticed the locket, and she wasn't pleased about it. I cleared my throat to get her attention.

      "I would be honored to be your apprentice." I sounded far more confident than I felt. Marilynn smiled widely, obviously expecting my choice before asking the question. As I looked at John, I could see his face darkening. I gripped the necklace for strength; a flood of warmth washed up my arm and settled in my core, hardening my resolve. John may be disappointed, but this is what felt right. I felt as though I had to do this. I gave John a meaningful look and he nodded back solemnly.

      "Excellent! Then it's settled!" she croaked. "Your training will begin bright and early day after tomorrow."

      I thanked her and we departed from her house shortly afterward. We traveled back to the Facility in silence. John left us to go attend to his paperwork, leaving us alone to talk. We sat down on the over-plush chairs of the waiting room, a comfortable quiet settling around us. It was not to last. Trevor spoke first.

      "Are you really okay living with our rules now? Accepting our way of life?" he asked.

      "As Marilynn said, there must be a reason I was brought here. I may as well make the best of it." Trevor shifted uncomfortably.

      "Yeah, I suppose," he muttered. A thought popped into my head.

      "Hey Trevor, why does John hate Marilynn?" He gave me an odd look before he finally understood.

      "Sometimes it's easy to forget that you haven't been here all along," he explained. "You see, every since the start of this town, there has been one law that has remained completely untouched throughout the ages, one that has the harshest of penalties. 'The consumption of another's flesh or blood in completely forbidden under the penalty of death.'"

      "What?! That's disgusting! Why would there even need to be a rule like that?!" He wore an amused expression.

      "Just listen for a minute. As you know, what you are when you shift is genetically predetermined. However, when another shifter ingests enough of another shifter's DNA, they can take the other shifter's shape as well."

      "Wait, so you're saying that if you eat someone, you can take their shape?"

      "Well, their shifted shape anyway."

      "So John hates Marilynn because she drinks blood during the naming ceremony? Wait, so does she-?!"

      "No, no. Of course not. It's not near enough for her to take anyone's shape. It's that fact that she's exempt from that law that aggravates John." I breathed a sign of relief before tensing up again.

      "So will I have to drink blood?"

      "I'm not sure." I about wretched. No way was I going to do that, Seer or not. "We're going to be partners."

      "What was that?"

      "Nothing, just thinking to myself." I glimpsed a smile, secretive smile before he turned away. "I'm going to go get some dry clothes on. See you at dinner." I looked despairingly at my own attire.

      "Same here. See you later!"

      I flounced away. Despite the situation, I was a lot happier than I had been in a long time. I felt at home, like I had finally found my place in the world. Home... That's a word I thought had long since evaded me.

      As I entered my room, I sat in front of the window and dreamed of the new life before me.