Pen Pal

FEBRUARY 20TH

Dear someone,

It seems silly to write a note in a book. But I need to talk to someone, and if that someone is just another human looking to read a library book, that's enough for me.

Let's start with the basics. I'm C, and I attend Miami High. Please don't look for me. I want to keep this kind of a private thing, you know? If you want to write back, please do. We can have a penpal thing. Anyway, I'm rambling. I tend to do that a lot, you'll notice.

I'll just get straight to my problem. I don't know what's wrong with me. My best friend, we'll call her D, she's the sweetest. The best. There is no other best friend on this earth that could compare, I love her to death. She's been pushing me to go out with this guy – he's cute and funny and has this floppy hair that reminds me of a puppy. But we're going out tonight, and I'm so nervous. I can't even think correctly, and my hands are shaking while I'm writing this. I just want some advice or someone to listen to me.

I had this other boyfriend, who kind of...well, he wasn't the nicest guy around. I think he has completely ruined all dating for me, because the terror of being put in that place again paralyzes me. I just want to go out and have a good time with this cute guy who I think likes me. Maybe I'm overthinking everything. Anyway, thank you for listening.

FEBRUARY 21ST

Dear C,

I am not someone who writes notes to strangers in a library book. Let's make that clear. But I read your letter, and I think you're compelling. Your letter is just a chapter in a book that I want to read more of. I suppose there's not much point to give you advice, if the date on your letter is correct. You've already gone on the date (or not?).

So, could you tell me how it was? This guy sounds nice. And D, she reminds me of my best friend, N. N has always been a little pushy about dating. I guess now I should introduce myself: I'm L, and I'm a senior in high school. Hopefully you'll read this letter soon and let me know how the date went. I'll check back tomorrow.

FEBRUARY 22ND

Dear L,

I didn't expect anyone to reply. I'm flattered that you find me compelling, because I really am not. I'm just a seventeen year old with a love for music, and that's it, really. I am the definition of boring.

But I'll oblige your request. The date was average. I've only been on one other first date before, but if I had more to compare it to, I'm sure this would be a 5/10. It was just okay. He's nice, he really is, and I stopped being nervous once we had sat down to eat dinner. But we don't have anything in common, and our conversations always fall to awkward silence. I don't think it's going to work. It was a nice experience, regardless.

I don't know how to break the news to D. I'm always bad at this stuff.

It's nice to meet you, L. Please write back soon.

FEBRUARY 23RD

Dear C,

Did you tell D? I think we had average dates at the same time. I went on a double date with N, and my date was amazing for the first half hour. We were getting along and flirting a lot, you know. So I excuse myself to go to the bathroom, and when I come back, he's making out with a waitress by the door to the cleaning closet. Classy. Believe it or not, that's really is just average.

Do you play any instruments? I sing and play a little piano, but I'm not great. It's just for fun, really.

The librarian is giving me a dirty look, so I'm going to go. Write back soon.