Who Do You Belong To?

"It's been too hard living, but I'm afraid to dieeee

'Cause I don't know what's out there beyond the sky

It's been a loooong, a long time coming

But I knoooow a change gon' come, ooooh yes it will"

Lauren smiled as she let herself enjoy the street performer's voice. It was a pleasant surprise that he actually sounded just like Sam Cooke. She turned in her seat to watch him hold out his hat and sing to passerby. She didn't know what overcame her, but she started singing along with the man on the sidewalk, exchanging smiles with him as she sat backwards in her seat, belting out the lyrics. Willie joined in for a bit, as did Dinah, who harmonized with some runs. Lauren smiled at them as the rest of their friends watched. There was something about this city that made Lauren feel different, carefree and spontaneous. It was truly like setting foot in another country, another world even.

"Showoff," Camila said with a smirk as the song finished. Lauren had almost forgotten where she was and was brought back by the other girl's voice. She smirked back.

"Got a dollar?" Camila handed her a five, which Lauren took and got up from her seat, leaning over the low iron fence to drop the bill in the man's hat.

"Thank you, darlin'." The man grinned at her before turning to walk along the sidewalk, now crooning a Louis Armstrong song.

It was another one of those days where Lauren would later tweet "happiest day of my life!" She was surrounded by so much culture, and so much love from her friends around the tables she returned to. She picked up the glass of water in front of her and finished it all in one gulp. Her throat felt a little dry from singing, and the current heat and humidity rivalled that of Miami's. She still hadn't stopped smiling though, and looked at the boy sitting across from her, who was smiling back. Looking into his bright blue eyes, she swore she could've melted right then and there. He gave her a smirk, and soon after she felt his shoe lightly nudge her ankle under the table, which only made her smile grow. She was then distracted, however, by a voice in her right ear. Camila was saying something unintelligible and moving her hands around excitedly as she chewed on what Lauren guessed was her fourth beignet. Lauren pulled her legs back to rest under her chair, and Logan turned away to start a conversation with Troy.

"Huh?" Lauren asked, looking amused as she watched Camila stuff the rest of the beignet into her mouth. Her cheeks were puffed out, and there was powdered sugar on her lips and jaw. Not to mention the rest of the sugar that she'd somehow managed to get off the plate and all over their table. Lauren moved to rest her arm on the back of Camila's seat, then leaned in and used her other hand to rub some of the sugar off of her face. It only smeared more on her cheek, though, making her laugh.

"I said, don't you love this place?!" Camila repeated after she swallowed. "I could eat beignets for days!"

"Yeah, Camz, I do," Lauren said softly. She gave her a smile, then relaxed in her seat, her right hand playing with Camila's hair. She picked up her iced café au lait and sipped through the straw, then turned to give her attention to Ally, who was announcing their plans for the rest of the night. Camila and Dinah were only seventeen, so they couldn't get into any clubs. Management would probably kill them if they were caught partying on Bourbon, anyway. They would just walk around the quarter a little more, then head back to the hotel. They had already spent the day wandering around the area, and there was plenty more time the next day to explore the rest of the city. She continued to run her fingers through long, dark locks, and traced down Camila's back a little, making the girl's spine shiver involuntarily. She hadn't even realised what she was doing until she felt her shiver, and her eyes widened a little in realisation. Her eyes shot quickly to Camila, then back to Ally, missing Logan's gaze as he narrowed his eyes at the two of them.