National Pots de Crème Day

27. August. 2007.

p a r t   2   o f   2

Sonny is chosen to vigorously shake the beer can. Everyone's laughing and having fun as she places the drink in a shoebox, mixing it with other cans. She places the box in the middle of our circle.

"Who's going first?" she asks the crowd. No one's really paying attention so Joint Guy, who's sitting beside me, raises his hand and gives in. He closes his eyes, does a little dazzle with his hands before reaching down into the void of beer bottles.

He retrieves one, tipping the can slightly forward as he begins to open it cautiously. But when the bond as been broken, a small pop is heard then a continuous whoosh along with the sounds of people's screams.

We are all drenched. Everyone shuffles out of the room as the beer continues to empty itself. Joint Guy just sits there, a closed-mouth smile upon his lips as his eyes find me.

"I'm Oscar," his hand is extended forward and I shake it gladly, enjoying the alcoholic mist on my face, "and you are?"

"Avrey," he nods.

"Nice to meet you, Avrey."

We sit there, the beer almost gone.

"Pardon me for saying this, ma'am," Oscar begins with a sigh, "but I have an immense urge to make out with your bewitching face."

"Me, too."