eight

When Sean apologised to me the next day, I couldn't be happier. We had both been so stubborn and didn't utter a word to each other for the rest of the day yesterday, until he had decided to be the better person. I accepted his apology and apologised also. We hugged it out and forgot all about it.

Charles had told me during breakfast that today was going to be my first training day. I had tried to cover up how nervous I was but him being able to read minds, told me that it was going to be okay and we weren't going to do much practical work; he was only going to ask me questions and probably teach me hand-to-hand combat. I unsurely agreed and asked Alex how his training went yesterday afternoon. He said that he was going to need a lot more practice because it didn't go very well, and that mine won't be much worse than his. I smiled and went up to my room to prepare.

I get changed into some practical sport clothes and tie my dark hair up into a high ponytail. When I am finished, I head back downstairs and meet with Charles beside the swimming pool.

"You're just on time, Amelia," he said to me and patted the lounge chair beside him. I sat down and he began with questions. He started with easy questions like 'how old were you the first time you grew a tail?' and 'how long does it take after you touch water for you to grow a tail?'. After I answer each question, he writes down my answer in his little notepad and goes onto the next one.

"Okay, those were all of the questions," Charles closes his notepad and turns to face me directly, before speaking. "Hank spent a long time studying your blood sample yesterday afternoon and he didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Although, I have a theory. If the muscles in your tail are the same as the muscles in the rest of your body, you will be able to control it. All we need is a blood sample from your tail, to test the theory, what do you say?"

I takes me a minute to process the information he has just given me. I can control my tail at will, but I will need to give them a blood sample to test the theory? Easy. I excitedly agree and Charles shakes my hand. For the next half an hour he shows me the basic defence moves until Alex steps outside and patiently waits for his turn to train.

He sits on the lounge chair that I was previously on, intently flicking through an old newspaper. Charles throws two soft punches to my stomach, which I block without fault, and when my eyes flicker over to Alex, he chooses that moment to throw a punch to my face. Me, expecting another punch to the stomach move my hands to exactly there until I felt his hard glove collide with my left eye. I yelp in surprise and notice Alex look up from the paper, rising to his feet quickly. I look over to Charles and see him apologising over and over, stepping forward to examine my eye. Before I know it, the two boys are crowding around me.

"Amelia, please, I need to know if you're okay?" Charles eyebrows were furrowed and he looked very worried. I realised that I haven't said a word for at least twenty seconds since the incident occurred.

"Huh? Yeah, no, I'm fine, really," I struggle to keep my left eye open and feel a stream of water rushing from it. I cover my eye, not wanting them to think I'm crying.

"I'm so sorry, Amelia, I thought you would have expe-"

"Oh god, are you crying?" Alex cuts him off, softly pulling my hand away from my eye to examine. He keeps his hand on mine, and with the other, he brushes the tears away. I struggle to speak, not because of the pain but because of how close we are.

"N-no, seriously, I'm not. I just- I don't know what's happening," I say and they both start to pull me inside, claiming that I need to lie down. Alex, his hand still in mine, opens the back door, and pulls me in, Charles closely in front of us. They sit me down on the bar stool beside the island counter and Hank, who had a confused expression on his face.