00・01

Same thingamajigs. Same atmosphere. Same headquarters.

Nothing much is new today, huh?

Well, living in a dystopian world, this is what you get. You'll be stuck in some building owned by the saviors of mankind, because your parents think that it's too unsafe for you to be alone at home, even if you're living in a community that's safe enough. What's more ironic is that those parents are actually fighters of those creepy beasts we call our enemies.

Oh wait. That's mostly just my situation.

Speaking of which, I wonder how my parents are doing. They're currently patrolling the West District of the city, if I'm not mistaken. Their work usually ends in like fifteen more minutes or so. Can't wait~.

Aaaand that sentence gave an impression that my parents' duties don't seem as dangerous as it is. In reality, it's way worse than anyone could ever think of.

Their everyday life is going out of the safety zone, risking their lives to fight for what's left of humanity. There are so many tragic possibilities of what can happen to them—lose a limb or more, have their eyesight or hearing taken away—stuff like that. There's also the worst-case scenario known as death, of course.

I mean, hello? More than half of humanity was wiped out thanks to those Haemgang. Sick, demonic beasts that cause nothing but destruction. It's unfair how they have to exist, though. But that's life. At least life ain't boring tho.

Then why don't I seem to fear anything, you may ask? Simply because I have faith in my parents. They're one of the first ever soldiers of mankind, though. Something which we call Vanguards. I'm pretty much confident they can take down anything, considering the Tragic Night event a few years back.

And honestly, I would love to be like them one day. Someone who's courageous and brave enough to stand up for something.

First, I have to learn how to step out of my comfort zone thought. I've been trying, but I guess I need a bit more push?

"A-Ah, hey!"

A young male's voice called out for me, or so I thought. It's just that, it isn't the first time I heard that familiar voice. During those previous instances, he was trying to get my attention.

I figured I'm in the same situation as before. Something like déjà vu, perhaps?

I stopped my tracks and my current thoughts, turning my heel to face him. My eyes fell upon the sight of a young man a few meters away from me. He was around the same age as me or so, with umber hair that—despite being messy—suits him. He wore a kind expression on his face, which his ocean blue eyes reflected, and I knew a blush crept up my cheeks.

I heard a cheeky laugh slip from his lips before he ran to my position. I'd realize why he called for me before he even got to me.

"'Ey! Y'dropped—!"

"Th-Thank you!" I stammered rather loudly after snatching the small stuffed toy in his hand once he was within my reach. I knew it was rude of me to cut him off like that, but I would die of embarrassment if I did otherwise.

Silence fell upon us, but only I felt awkward. My head was bent down and all but the butterflies in my stomach remained. Somehow, I could feel his warm, radiant aura, which calmed me even the slightest bit.

"Y-You're welcome." He chuckled, before reaching for my chin as an attempt for him to meet my eyes. Although, he was knocked off to the side by an adult who was rushing. I looked up and back to check what's going on. The male who just walked past us seemed trouble.

"What was that?" The young boy asked, alerted. I shrugged, as the momentary anxiety from being with him was washed away too.

"I'll ask." He suggested. I replied with a silent nod, his signal to catch up to the man. I stayed put and waited for his return.

"Ah, Syris..." I could hear the older man acknowledge the presence of the boy whose name I don't even know. I saw them talk to each other from my position, and I could sense something went wrong. I was afraid to hear from him. But I knew I had to.

I said I wanted to be strong, right?

Soon enough, he sprinted back to where I am. I braced myself for whatever has to struck me. There is no way I can falter.

He had a perturbed-ridden look on his features. My heart skipped a beat.

And when he spoke, I felt my entire world fall apart.

"Marcia Venicianne is down. She's at a critical stage."