01

And just like that, what felt like something so real, what once gave me an uneasy feeling of guilt in my chest for countless consecutive nights, is now merely but a dream. A night's thought, possibly my conscience reminding me of my origin as a Vanguard.

And now, it had concluded upon my awakening.

There I was, seated on the bed after abruptly getting up from a sleeping position, eyes quickly peeled open and breath slightly audible. My coffee-colored locks fell upon my shoulders, while I extended my hand to the wooden table beside my bed, reaching for my spectacles to aid my vision. Then, hazelnut hues scanned my living quarters. Perhaps it was more of a normal routine for me, to immediately check on my surroundings, that is. I won't lose anything from being careful, is all.

Nothing out of the ordinary, huh. There's still my book beside me, though.

I must've passed out again from reading ...

Once I was satisfied, I fixed myself and got into a better position, pulling my feet closer, getting into a cross-seated position, only to take the fluffy white pillow beside for me to huddle.

Then a deep breath was heaved.

" ... Another day, huh. "

Those were the words I uttered to myself, moving my face closer so that the pillow would cover the lower part of my face.

I took this time to relax and prepare myself for another busy day.

A day of taking down bestial beings that have preyed upon humanity for years. They, whom we call Haemgang, are a menace to society's development.

The task of eliminating these monsters have been laid upon the shoulders of us, Vanguards.

Never has it been an easy task. It means putting our life at risk, dancing with Death himself every time we step out of our comfort zone.

In this kind of situation, one must learn how to be strong.

If you aren't cut out for the job, expect to be mauled within five minutes.

Luckily, I've managed to face my fears as a child, thus being able to fight as a soldier of the human race today.

I've got my father to thank. Without his sacrifice, I wouldn't be able to overcome my obstacles and be the woman I am today.

... Wait, who am I talking to?

Knock knock knock.

" Natalia~! Are 'ya awake now!? " Spoke the boisterous voice of a female after blaring thuds at my door, my previous thoughts slowly vanishing into thin air.

" I'm up. " I replied after a soft sigh. " Please, keep your voice down, Lilith. "

" 'Ye all good!? Great~! Cap'n Sy asked me to check on 'ya and all that, says he'll be back after a quick round! "

The voice of the rowdy female began to gradually decrease in volume beginning her last sentence, until it had slowly faded into silence. Once again, I was left alone.

What did she say again...? Something about Syris ordering her to check upon me.

... He could've just done it himself.

Plus, from the sound of it, it seems like he went out on a mission. Didn't even inform me of it, how lovely.

Nngh, what time is it anyway? Where's my Terminal Device...

A cold surface touching my skin, and a quick movement of my wrist was all it took for me to take the object into my hands. The device began to emit light, flashing a digital clock on its lock screen.