00・03

"If the coordinates are right, it means we're almost there." Hailey announced as she drove through the rough terrain of the rainforest. The engine of the rover, luckily, ran smoothly. I don't want to get sidetracked by more Haemgang. But even so, I don't think anything will dare try to stay near a Leomantid.

Just hold on, dad. We're coming to get you.

"You sure you don't want any weapon?"

"I'm not gonna fight. I'm just going to bring him home. And watch we're your driving." I scoffed, urging her to keep her eyes on the road and not at me.

"Yeah, hun. I'll do that while you grab a pistol."

"I said I'm not engaging in co—!"

Out of nowhere, some creature rammed into our vehicle, toppling us about. The rover spun a few times before friction stopped its motion, with the machine upside down. Both Hailey and I were quick enough to respond.

We got out of the vehicle quickly, before the thing could get ravaged by the beast and eventually, taking us along as its meal. Needless to say, we gained a few cuts and scratches from the crash.

I'm not even gonna look back. If I do, I'll end up paralyzed in fear, until the thing turns me into lunch.

I urged my feet to just run, leaving my companion behind.

As of now, all that's manipulating me is my instinct to survive. That which I have to control.

I have to find my dad.

So, even if it was against my will, I directed myself further into the greens of the luscious forest, while I pleaded my knees to stop its trembling.

Maybe I should've brought a pistol like Hailey said...

"Dad! Where are you!?" I desperately called out, my eyes peeled as I wandered aimlessly in the wild. "Dad!"

Where is he, damn it! No way he'll be dead, right!? Damn it, dad.

Please, don't make my cry even more. Show yourself alread—

Ow.

I tripped from a huge root of a gargantuan tree, and was sent crashing to the floor. My wounds were added, the pain increasing as they started to stung even more.

Gah, I can't stand. The most I can do is dig my nails into the dirty soil, letting my tears continuously roll down my cheeks, and cry my heart out. And to add the fact that I slowly feel like letting go of my consciousness...

I can't do anything.
Can't help my mom, can't find my dad, can't save myself...

And to think that there are people counting on me. All I can do is fail them.

All I can do is... desperately hold onto my comfort zone... succumb to fear...

Worthless... useless, pathetic—...!

... Natalia Vargas Venicianne... why has your life... led you to this...?

❯❯ ✦ ❮❮

My head was throbbing in pain, making me let out a heavy groan. Meanwhile, my vision's still hazy.

Ngh... where am... I—...

"Lia? Lia, dear!?"

A familiar voice echoed, making me wish my vision would adjust sooner. I felt my body being shook as it was drawn upright.

"...Ugh, d-dad...?" I spoke. It was his voice, that I can be sure.

All the while, my body was pulled, yet again, this time, closer to the other person's, while I was captured in a hug.