The Player Breaks Down

Author's note: Hey guys, just wanted to thank everyone who's been commenting and reading the story! I appreciate you guys so much! This chapter is going to be a little different this week, it's going to be told from Mikhos's pov. There are going to be more chapters like this which will be told from other characters perspectives coming up so it's gonna be lit ;)

Mikhos's POV

It was the third and final night we were to be at sea when I finally approached him. Nicolai had been standing out there on the deck for awhile now, I had been watching him from the shadows in silence. It sounds creepy, I am aware of that. I just...well I had absolutely no idea what to say to him. He looked almost at peace now, his eyes shut as a strong sea breeze ruffled through his hair. It was the most calm I had ever seen him, perhaps it was because I was not there. Well...time to change that.

"You are supposed to be watching Alabaster. Where is she?" Nicolai jumped at the sound of my voice and turned quickly to face me. I didn't really know why I started with that, I guess I couldn't think of anything else to say. The last time we had spoken one on one we hadn't exactly left on...the best terms.

"She's with Munny. He said he would watch her for a few minutes so I could get some fresh air."

"Ah, I see." I moved next to him slowly. "Being the cat guardian isn't a task to take lightly Nicky." Even in the dark I could see him furrow his brow, a habit I had realized that occurred whenever he got caught up in his own thoughts about something he didn't like. He probably was internally monologuing about how much he hates me as we speak. I don't think Nicolai ever realizes how easy he is to read. This was something that actually intrigued me about him. From what I had gathered from his fighting style he was trained by someone with experience, someone who taught perhaps...not entirely legal methods of combat. The strange thing was whoever had trained him this way had clearly never taught him how to actually think for himself. By God, he wasn't even able to put together that I was the fucking prince after I even told him I knew about the rigged tournament from day one. I will admit telling him that wasn't my finest moment. I was overcome by emotion and wasn't thinking, a dangerous thing to do. I am not afraid to admit that I am an idiot as well in my own way.

"I don't understand why it's so important that I watch her all the time. There's mice on the ship. She probably wants to...hunt or something."

"You're forgetting she's a royal cat." To be honest I didn't really care if Alabaster wandered around the ship or not, she probably would actually enjoy it, I just couldn't stop myself from purposefully pissing Nicky off. Instead of fighting back as usual however Nicolai's shoulders just sagged.

"Alright your majesty. I'll go get her now-"

"No." He stopped when I spoke, a slight look of surprise at the direct order.

"But didn't you say?"

"I said it was a task not to take lightly, not that you couldn't leave her with someone else for awhile." Nicolai arched a brow.

"Okaaaay. Is there something you wanted that wasn't a criticism of my cat watching abilities?" I just shrugged.

"I wanted to talk." I could tell it was taking everything he had not to scoff at me. It must have been a hard habit to break after realizing he couldn't do such things to the crown prince.

"You wanted to talk? About what? About my dead sister? About the fact that you've been lying about who you are and how much you know about me since the moment we met?" I took each verbal blow without flinching, he was angry and that was understandable.