Chapter 28: A Black and White Image

August 19th 2017

Dan's POV

"Yo-you what?" I said shocked. I couldn't speak, my heart felt like it just stopped.

Jess was pregnant?! How can this be?!

Jess bit her lip nervously and looked down at the floor and sighed heavily.

"I'm pregnant Dan." She repeated and my mouth was open and my eyes felt like they fell out of my head.

"How do you know? Are you sure? How is this possible?!" I said panic and confusion laced in my voice and Jess placed her hand on my in comfort.

"I'm pretty sure. My period is late, and I took a pregnancy test. Dan, I'm at least thirteen weeks pregnant." She said and I stuttered out something that not even I could identify.

"Dan you don't have to have anything to do with this! I can leave and you never have to see me or the baby again. I understand if yo-"

"Woah woah! I want to be there Jess. I want to support you and the baby, this is a huge shock to me. But I still don't understand we used protection!" I said and Jess but her lip and I have her a confused look as she twirled her hair around her finger and exhaled.

"No, not really. I forgot to take the pill before the night we had sex last. I know you used a condom, but that must have broken." She said and I felt like my world was crumbling around me. I wanted to sink into the floor and phase out of existence.

Jess was pregnant. With my baby. In her belly she's carrying my child.

"I want to be there for you Jess. Please, I want to be there for you and the baby." I told her and she breathed a sigh of relief.

"Oh Dan! Thank you, I just want the baby to have a dad. You can be involved as much as you want." She said smiling as tears formed in her green eyes and I held her hand.

"It's okay. I want to know. How did this happen. You know, the pregnancy test and realising you were pregnant and stuff?" I asked and she wiped her eyes and sighed.

"It started when I woke up one morning and I felt really sick and I threw up, I shook it off though thinking that I just ate something bad. I then realised that I was late for my period. I then realised that I was off the pill the night before we had sex, so I went to the drug store and brought a pregnancy test and it came out positive and I worked out that I was at least thirteen weeks. I didn't know what to feel at that moment, I started crying and I called my brothers and told them and they were so supported of me and then I told you." She said her hands shaking slightly on the table and I grabbed it stroking it with my thumb.

"Jess, we'll get through this." I told her smiling slightly and she smiled and nodded. "Thank you Dan. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, will you come with me?" She asked I could hear that she was afraid I'd say no.

"I'd love to. What time is it, I'll be there." I asked, "Two o'clock." She said twirling her hair nervously and then touched her stomach.

"I'll be there Jess. I want to be there all the way, from start to finish for you and the baby." I said and she smiled and started crying a bit and she hugged me and sniffles into my shoulder.