Chapter 2

Edited: 4/16/2020

 I looked up at her run-down apartment complex and scoffed to myself. It was a small five-story complex that sat on top of a pawn shop.  The apartment was nestled between two taller buildings on a busy street where cars constantly drove by and foot traffic was prominent. On the side of the pawnshop, there was a metal gate that was slightly cracked open. Slipping past the gate I made my way up a flight of stairs to the first floor. I was immediately met with 4 doors each with their own individual numbers. 1, 2, 3, and 4. If I recall, I only heard her walk up one flight of stairs and as far as I can see this building doesn't have an elevator. 

So...which one is hers? I looked at the apartment numbers presented to me...1, 2, 3, and 4.

I can't make a decision right now and knocking on someone's door is too risky. I'll come back when I have more information. I quickly snapped a photo of the doors and rushed down the stairs, and out of the building. I managed to walk down the street before, I heard the sound of the metal gate creaking open. Someone was leaving the apartment.

It was her. Sora.

Why is she out again? Didn't she just get home? Quickly I turned around so she couldn't see me. I kept my ears peeled as she walked past me in a hurry. She sounded insane, "Maybe those tests were wrong...I mean like they've got to be wrong...I got them from a god damn seven-eleven so they have to be wrong...yeah yeah....they're wrong..." Intriguing. I let her walk out twenty feet in front of me before I began to follow her to god knows where. Something was off with her, she wasn't paying attention to who was in front of her, nevertheless behind her, she didn't even look both ways when she crossed the street. 

I followed her for about an hour before she walked into a grocery store and not once, did she ever turn around.

 Is she an idiot? 

The profile I have on her states otherwise. She ranked number five in high school and she's published a few texts on science fiction, but if I were to compare her current behavior to her profile, it'd be hard to believe that someone like her would snap like this. 

Inside the grocery store, she moved from aisle to aisle, sometimes stopping and observing the products on the shelves. She was searching for something frantically, and she was having no luck in finding it. 

She walked down a frozen food aisle and quickly walked past the freezers only to suddenly stop and turn around where she promptly halted in front of the ice cream section. She stood there browsing the selection of ice creams for five minutes.

Just pick one already! And She did... She picked out three containers of cookies and cream Ice cream. Only to walk off and then turn around again and put one pint back in the freezer. Where she stood for another two minutes with the freezer door open, almost as if she were debating whether or not she wanted the third pint again. She closed the freezer door and shook her head furiously and walked off again, to which I pursued her. Her pace quickened, and instead of walking in and out of the store's aisles she walked down three aisles and turned down an aisle covered from shelf to shelf in feminine products. Instantly, I felt that it'd be strange to follow her down this aisle, but I had to know what she was doing. Sora reached out toward the shelves and grabbed a rectangular blue box. From where I stood, I could make out in bold blue letters the in word 'Clear' and 'Blue'. Clear Blue...I turned away from her and threw myself into the next aisle over where I quickly whipped out my phone and typed in the words, clear blue. Instantly, I was met with a link that led to a website for pregnancy tests. 

Is she...Is she pregnant? That night...she told me that it was her first time in a long time, but that would mean...it worked. I turned back to the aisle she was in only to find her gone. I ran over to the next aisle and then the next aisle over, but she wasn't there either. Maybe she's checking out, I ran to the checkout counters, she wasn't there either. Where the fuck did she go? I just saw her, how could she move that fast. "Damn it!" I whispered to myself before I ran out of the store and headed back to her apartments. If I'm fast enough, I can beat her to her apartment. 

....................................................................................................

I walked out of the grocery store, in complete shock. As soon as I picked up the pregnancy test I ran to the restroom to take it. I couldn't wait and now I know. Its was as definite as I was out of $14, I'm pregnant. I walked back to my apartment in complete disbelief, it's true, it's definite and I can't change it. I tightened my grip on my plastic bag full of ice cream as I walked up to my apartment stairs. "I need to fi-huh?" There was a man standing in front of my apartment door. He had dark disheveled hair and brown eyes, he wore dark clothing and a coat with fur trim. When I paused at the top of my stairs our eyes met. A sly smile spread across his face and quickly dropped my bag of ice cream and ran down the stairs. "Wait! Sora wait! I need to talk to you!" I paused at the bottom of the stairs and looked up at him. His voice sounded so familiar, I've heard it before.  

"Who are you?" I asked him. The man slowly made his way down the stairs to me, picking up my dropped bag as he walked toward me. 

"My name is Izaya Orihara and I've been looking for you, Sora."