Prologue

"On the twenty-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that their children were dying because of their choice to initiate violence, every district was made to hold an election and vote on the tributes that represent it.
And now we honour our fiftieth anniversary. As a reminder that two rebels died for each Capitol citizen, every district will be required to send twice as many tributes."
I gasp, staring at the clunky, static-ridden television that sits on the table. Mother inhales sharply, and Kaitlynn staggers backwards. Ember sighs, his head and shoulders drooping forward. Burnet stands stock-still, and little Posy sits, oblivious to us all, playing with my old rag doll.
That's twice as many chances I have to be picked. It's not... it's not fair.
I need to get out. I'm suffocating, the room is closing in on me...
And I'm running.
Barging through the door, tearing across the yard of our house in the Seam, the wind nipping at my face and fingers like the teeth from a dog. The band that has held my hair back loosens and then slips out, and my hair whips at my face.
I don't know where to go. The fence? No, I can't go there. I could be seen, I'm not quiet enough in my panic.
But somehow my legs are forcing me that way, and before I know it I've skidded to a halt in front of the wire loops. My breath catches in my throat, coming in small, sharp stabs to my chest. I lean over, my hands braced against my thighs, trying to regain at least a semblance of sanity. I know I must look a real sight, wild, frightened eyes, matted hair, mouth open in shock.
There's a hand on my shoulder. I scream, swatting at whoever it is.
"Get away! Go away!"
"Melia, shh. Shh, it's alright."
It's Bailey, my best friend.
"No! No, it's not all right! Don't you – don't you see what he's doing? President Snow, he's – he's –"
She catches my hands in hers, pulling me upright. "Yes, Mel. I know. He's horrid. But we can't change what's happened. And honestly, I don't appreciate being bruised. I want to be in my best shape if I'm going in."
I laugh, despite my fury. At President Snow, at the Gamemakers, at the world. Bailey hugs me, and I find myself wrapping my own arms around her.
"Four tributes, Bee. Four. That means that you, I, and Ember could all go in. What if that happens? What then?"
"It won't, silly. I don't think we're quite that unlucky," she reassures me.
Oh, but what if we are?
Only one comes out, Bailey. Only one.