Chapter 8

We sit around the television, waiting anxiously for the scores from today. As the anthem plays and the Capitol seal appears on the screen, we all tense up in anticipation.

The legendary announcer Claudius Templesmith begins by saying what an amazing line-up of tributes we have this year, made even more exciting by the fact that it's a Quarter Quell. He mentions the brute strength evident in some of the tributes from the Career districts, the slyness shown by other tributes, and the love expressed by Ember and I. Of course he talks about that. It would be a criminal offence not to.

Then begins the training scores. Typically, the Careers get eights, nines and tens. The rest average sixes. Surprisingly, Haymitch gets a 9. We all cheer and clap for him. Bailey gets a 6, which isn't bad considering she's never held a weapon in her life. Ember's score is 8, and mine is 7. I just sit there, stunned, while everyone claps me on the back. I couldn't have hoped for better. It's not the best score, but I'm really happy.

As the anthem plays again and the programme ends, Acacia turns to us with a smile stretched across her face. "Well done, you guys. You've made me really proud. Tomorrow's going to be about preparing you for your interviews so you can gain even more sponsors. You'll spend four hours with each of us, and the rest of that time will be yours. Now go on, go and get some sleep. You'll probably need it."

Before Ember goes to his room, he gives me a small smile. Haymitch pats me on the back again, and Bailey stops by my door.

"Well done, you. What'd you show them?" she says, leaning against the wall.

"Oh... I threw some knives," I reply, trying my best to downplay everything.

"Come on, I did the same sort of thing and I got a lower score than you. There's gotta be something more you did." She flashes me that smile that says I totally know you're fibbing.

I rub the back of my neck awkwardly. "Um... well, I demonstrated how I would start a forest fire. Or set fire to a tree where another tribute's hiding. I guess they liked that."

"I guess they did. It's definitely different from what most people would've done. Throwing spears, using swords, shooting arrows. But I should probably go to bed. Spending four hours with Maximus will drain the life out of me tomorrow." She laughs, then hugs me and retreats to her room.

I hesitate before going to my quarters and closing the door behind me. A seven... pretty good for someone of my age and stature. Especially good for someone from District 12. I wonder what my family will be thinking now. Will they be pleased? Slightly more hopeful? Certainly for Ember.

And the Careers. Maybe they'll consider extending their alliance to him.

I sigh as I change into a soft shirt and trousers and curl up under my blankets. Hopefully, playing up the sibling angle when we were in the chariots, and now my score, have both helped gain a few sponsors. Tomorrow I'll have to keep up the whole thing all over again in my interview. Whatever happened in training doesn't matter anymore.

After a few minutes, I get up again. I cross the hall and knock gently on Ember's door. No answer. He can't be asleep yet, he's always awake for hours after going to bed. So either he's ignoring me – which I refuse to believe, because he couldn't possibly know it's me – or he's out somewhere.

I decide to go to the roof. I shiver as the wind makes my trousers flap around my ankles, and I tuck my hands under my arms. He sits at the edge of a garden, seeming to look out at the streets below. As I get closer, I see a small flower that he's twirling between his thumb and forefinger. My own fingers go to the pendant at my throat.

"Not a bad score for someone from Twelve," I say, and he looks up. He gives a half smile.

"Not a bad score for a fourteen year old from the Seam," he replies.